iPhone + 3rd Party Apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In order to further set itself apart from all other competitors, Apple needs to develop a standard for allowing 3rd party applications on the iPhone. Let's say someone wants AIM on their iPhone? Well, the AIM development team could develop a mobile version of their program to use on iPhone, submit the code to Apple, and let them decide whether or not the code meets the required standards for functioning on the product. The same goes for other programs, like potential games and things of that sort.

You can't just let anyone make an application for the phone, there has to be restrictions and limitations so that the product still functions at 100% performance at all times. I think that if Apple did this, they could maintain the iPhone and truly revolutionize the handheld computer market AS WELL AS the overall phone industry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

In order to further set itself apart from all other competitors, Apple needs to develop a standard for allowing 3rd party applications on the iPhone. Let's say someone wants AIM on their iPhone? Well, the AIM development team could develop a mobile version of their program to use on iPhone, submit the code to Apple, and let them decide whether or not the code meets the required standards for functioning on the product. The same goes for other programs, like potential games and things of that sort.

You can't just let anyone make an application for the phone, there has to be restrictions and limitations so that the product still functions at 100% performance at all times. I think that if Apple did this, they could maintain the iPhone and truly revolutionize the handheld computer market AS WELL AS the overall phone industry.

You know, in the last 3 months I still have yet to hear anything about Apple not allowing developers to code for the iPhone. Further, Steve Jobs made a point of pointing out both Cocoa and Core Animation during the Keynote, as well as Widgets.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 5
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    The phone runs OSX...

It's compatable with most websites out there...

Widgets are basically website code...

Seeing a pattern? I think that if you can write a widget or an app for OSX, you'll probably be able to write an app for the iPhone with ease when (yes, when) they open it up. It'd be crazy to close off such a potentially revolutionary platform.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Website widgets can't access the data on the phone. Want to write a GPS app? Can't. Want to write a non-networked app (phones aren't always networked, say in a tunnel or inside). Want to write a project app that works with the phone's PIM info? Can't. In fact, most of the really great PDA apps that the iPhone would really be good at - cannot be done as web-only "widgets". They need to be code on the device.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Website widgets can't access the data on the phone. Want to write a GPS app? Can't. Want to write a non-networked app (phones aren't always networked, say in a tunnel or inside). Want to write a project app that works with the phone's PIM info? Can't. In fact, most of the really great PDA apps that the iPhone would really be good at - cannot be done as web-only "widgets". They need to be code on the device.

Surely you don't think that the iPhone will remain closed forever? That's incredibly limited thinking imho. I predict independant development in the iPhone within one year of its release.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

The phone runs OSX...

It's compatable with most websites out there...

Widgets are basically website code...

Seeing a pattern? I think that if you can write a widget or an app for OSX, you'll probably be able to write an app for the iPhone with ease when (yes, when) they open it up. It'd be crazy to close off such a potentially revolutionary platform.

How about you inform us all mere mortals exactly what your idea of a closed platform is?

Does it mean that Apple will control the platform? Does it mean you can't code for it at all? Does it mean that you have to get Apple's approval to develop for it?

Fun Fact: The most popular applications for Windows Mobile devices is a "True Close Button"

Sebastian