Can I update old powerpoint presentations?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Simple question and I have an awful feeling I already know the answer. Can I open an old PPT presentation (from Mac Office 98 ) in Powerpoint X ? I've tried but keep getting error messages.

Thanks

Just realised - should this be in the genius Bar ? I'm on a roll. I had my first ever locked thread this week as well.

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: jimdad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    It should work seamlessly. Mac Office 98, 2001 and v.X and WinOffice 97, 2000 and XP all share a common file format. Documents from any open perfectly (usually) in any other. Your errors might be related to files associated with or embedded in the .ppt's. I'm guessing these are pretty large, complicated beasts you're trying to use? Anyway, in theory it should work no problem.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thanks for the advice, towel. They are actually pretty small presentations but I think you might be right that something is no longer present, causing the error. Would the choice of a certain background cause it or are all the old backgrounds present in the new version?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I'm noticed there may be fewer backgound choices in V.x (no photo-patterns). If you're getting errors, it might be worth stripping some of the bells & whistles out, though I can't imagine why V.x would produce an error instead of, say, a white background.