Apple tv owners... can it do this....?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Two questions I have as since we don't get movies or tv shows thru iTunes here in Australia, the aTv looks almost redundant to us.

1. Can it play movies that I have ripped from dvd into mp4 format using Handbrake?

2. I know that you can't plug an external drive into the aTv, but will it see movies on an external drive plugged into my Mac? I guess a better question is can iTunes see movies in an external drive... or do they have to actually be imported into the iTunes library.

2.5. Are you able to store movies/tv shows on the aTv and leave them there, or will it erase them the minute it sync's up with iTunes and sees that you no longer them in your iTunes.

Okay, so technically that was 3 questions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Two questions I have as since we don't get movies or tv shows thru iTunes here in Australia, the aTv looks almost redundant to us.

1. Can it play movies that I have ripped from dvd into mp4 format using Handbrake?

2. I know that you can't plug an external drive into the aTv, but will it see movies on an external drive plugged into my Mac? I guess a better question is can iTunes see movies in an external drive... or do they have to actually be imported into the iTunes library.

2.5. Are you able to store movies/tv shows on the aTv and leave them there, or will it erase them the minute it sync's up with iTunes and sees that you no longer them in your iTunes.

Okay, so technically that was 3 questions.

Thanks.

1) Yes, I use AVC/(h.264 main) with the kbps set to 1500 and audio set to 128kbps. Be wary that handbrake can't crack all DVD copy protection. Oh and make sure file format is set to mp4.

2) I would suppose wherever your iTunes library is stored thats where it will stream from. Some people put their libraries on external drives (you may have no choice unless your internal Hard drive is bigger than 500 GB). There is a program if I recall that will let you manage multiple iTunes libraries (go hit versiontracker).

2.5) They won't stay. So be wary about the multiple library thing.