X11/xterm and Terminal

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In lamens terms, could someone please tell me the differences between xterm and using Terminal?

Does xterm just control the X Windows system, or is it just like the Terminal where it has power over the whole system?

I just don't really understand whats going on with this Unix/Aqua/X11/XFree86 and all the open-source things out there. It seems after trying to understand Unix, it opened up more questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

In lamens terms, could someone please tell me the differences between xterm and using Terminal?

Does xterm just control the X Windows system, or is it just like the Terminal where it has power over the whole system?

I just don't really understand whats going on with this Unix/Aqua/X11/XFree86 and all the open-source things out there. It seems after trying to understand Unix, it opened up more questions.

I can help a little. Terminal does not have 'power' over the system. When you enter the terminal you have the same access and permissions as your account for OS X. You do have an option of using the SUDO command to act as a SuperUser for one action. X11 is an add-on to unix that enables unix to have a graphic interface for some unix programs.