My iMac Intel is getting way slow.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am not sure why, but my iMac internet functions are getting slow. I know it could be my network -- I do live on a college campus -- but what other reasons could it be? (it is slow on both Firefox and Safari)

Also my iMac locked up (today actually -- the same time my internet started going slower). And when I mean locked up, iTunes was not responding -- forced quit that one, and Finder wasn't responding.

What could be going on here? Do I need to do some type of maintance or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

I am not sure why, but my iMac internet functions are getting slow. I know it could be my network -- I do live on a college campus -- but what other reasons could it be? (it is slow on both Firefox and Safari)

Also my iMac locked up (today actually -- the same time my internet started going slower). And when I mean locked up, iTunes was not responding -- forced quit that one, and Finder wasn't responding.

What could be going on here? Do I need to do some type of maintance or something?

you might try some maintenance, but it could be a lot of things. try this free program:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ties/onyx.html
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

you might try some maintenance, but it could be a lot of things. try this free program:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ties/onyx.html

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    did you try a simple reboot?

fully updated?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

did you try a simple reboot?

fully updated?

I rebooted, yes. But my mac isn't acting up anymore....so i guess i fixed the problem if it was on my end.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I rebooted, yes. But my mac isn't acting up anymore....so i guess i fixed the problem if it was on my end.

glad to hear it reboot, then reboot again.. that usually sorts things in my (admittedly limited) experiance, then check for updates than repair permissions

wow i love Macs
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

glad to hear it reboot, then reboot again.. that usually sorts things in my (admittedly limited) experiance, then check for updates than repair permissions

wow i love Macs

I did something else just now, too. i actually used the maintance thing (I had to go to work after I downloaded it yesterday )..and apparently my startup disk needed some minor repairing. So I verified permissions (incase it needed it) and i repaired the disk.

And there you have it! Thanks guys.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Clearing out user and system cache's and temporary items can help. Running "MainMenu" I got back half a gig.

Quote:

I did something else just now, too. i actually used the maintance thing (I had to go to work after I downloaded it yesterday )..and apparently my startup disk needed some minor repairing. So I verified permissions (incase it needed it) and i repaired the disk.

And there you have it! Thanks guys.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

funny you mentioned this, my computer started to do the same thing as well. this isnt the first time and it isnt my mini alone. i believe its the ISP (internet service provider). ive read online how many are unhappy with my provider and have similar issues.

it seems that Charter, my ISP doesnt supply any DNS information for the TCP set up. that would be fine if their system WORKED but it doesnt. i get so much lag, if i click on a link i wait for twenty seconds before anything happens.

something that worked pretty well was to type in some DNS info in the TCP control panel. im not sure how this works but on the internet someone posted this DNS to use.

give it a shot.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the Beatles View Post

funny you mentioned this, my computer started to do the same thing as well. this isnt the first time and it isnt my mini alone. i believe its the ISP (internet service provider). ive read online how many are unhappy with my provider and have similar issues.

it seems that Charter, my ISP doesnt supply any DNS information for the TCP set up. that would be fine if their system WORKED but it doesnt. i get so much lag, if i click on a link i wait for twenty seconds before anything happens.

something that worked pretty well was to type in some DNS info in the TCP control panel. im not sure how this works but on the internet someone posted this DNS to use.

give it a shot.

I would love to mess with those things, but I live on a college campus, and I use their network. Which is why I wasn't sure if my internet being slow was my iMac or if it was just UTC -- the college i live at. Apparently, though, whatever it was it's fixed because my iMac internet is no longer slow and my computer is running smoothly. :-D