Airport Extreme - range

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The new extreme base station supposedly has a range of up to twice the distance as previous airports. Is this only if you are using 'n' ?

I have a MBP CD so stuck with 'g' at present - will the range be significantly better than the airport express that I am currently using?

Can I also use an express or another extreme to extend the range of the unit?

Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

The new extreme base station supposedly has a range of up to twice the distance as previous airports. Is this only if you are using 'n' ?

I have a MBP CD so stuck with 'g' at present - will the range be significantly better than the airport express that I am currently using?

Many thanks

Range is primarily technology dependant, so yes... the extended range would only benefit in Draft-N configuration. Don't anticipate any significant range difference between the Extreme and Express. 802.11g has a range of about 30m regardless. You can use your express with an extreme to extend the range via WDS bridging.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Many thanks

The Airport Extreme can broadcast multiple formats: B, G, N at once. Only computers with an N wireless card will be able to take advantage of the faster speeds and greater range. But remember, getting the airport extreme would allow you to use your airport express as a bridge. The airport express wouldn't even have to be plugged into the internet at all -- just plugged into the wall for electricity. The signal of the airport extreme would be boosted by the airport express -- up to doubling the range of your wireless network. In addition, speed is a factor of range. The closer to the base station, the faster. So buying an Airport Extreme WOULD increase speed and range -- but not because it is N.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Thanks for the info - appreciated