ADSL router or modem for airport extreme?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking of getting the new airport extreme.

Apple says that upto 50 people can share a connection to it.

Do I need an ADSL modem or router to allow mltiple users to my broadband? I currently have a zoom X5 ADSL router but at times I loose the broadband so thinking of changing.

Any recommendations for a good wired ADSL modem or router?

Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Anyone?

I have looked on the apple site - it seems to suggest that an ADSL modem should be OK?

If so will this be as fast as using a router?

Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 6
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I think Netgear and 3Com hardware is pretty good. I have used both. It's a shame that Apple don't include an ADSL modem or Cable option built into the Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I think Netgear and 3Com hardware is pretty good. I have used both. It's a shame that Apple don't include an ADSL modem or Cable option built into the Airport Extreme.

Will a modem & exterme allow multiple computers to be on the internet at the same time?

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Will a modem & exterme allow multiple computers to be on the internet at the same time?

Thanks

Yes.

The "modem" (DSL and Cable modems are not really modems... but who cares...) will plug into the Airport... the Airport IS a router... just a wireless one... and up to 50 users can share your ADSL connection through it (wirelessly.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Yes.

The "modem" (DSL and Cable modems are not really modems... but who cares...) will plug into the Airport... the Airport IS a router... just a wireless one... and up to 50 users can share your ADSL connection through it (wirelessly.)

It also has 3 10/100BASE-T (I still don't understand why they didn't includ gigabit) ethernet ports so you can hardwire anything that isn't wireless.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Excellent - thanks for the help! Appreciated