What's the truth...mbp17 intel wifi drops?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

In the fifteen seconds I've been on this page, I've been dropped. This from a generic linksys router upstairs, the same I have in my apt (visiting the folks) and the same that many cafes use, etc. I am on a mbp17 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, blah, blah. Never happens with my other mbp17 ppc, same airport card as far as I can tell. There are no other home nets within two miles; there are no dwellings at all nearby. Apple says, "Oh, yeah, you need an airport base...BS!

Does anyone know of a process I can run via terminal that will ping random addresses, or some "keep alive" app (like in the dialup days)? I ask because the machine only drops when not down/upping or rapidly surfing. Can't idle for mere seconds sometimes. Grrr.

Reconnecting,

thank-you,

Dennis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vecces View Post

Hello,

In the fifteen seconds I've been on this page, I've been dropped. This from a generic linksys router upstairs, the same I have in my apt (visiting the folks) and the same that many cafes use, etc. I am on a mbp17 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, blah, blah. Never happens with my other mbp17 ppc, same airport card as far as I can tell. There are no other home nets within two miles; there are no dwellings at all nearby. Apple says, "Oh, yeah, you need an airport base...BS!

Does anyone know of a process I can run via terminal that will ping random addresses, or some "keep alive" app (like in the dialup days)? I ask because the machine only drops when not down/upping or rapidly surfing. Can't idle for mere seconds sometimes. Grrr.

Reconnecting,

thank-you,

Dennis

You don't provide enough info (and this should be in the genius bar section anyways).

In case you haven't tried these, here are some ideas:

Go to Utilities --> Network Utility --> Click on the "Ping" tab

Send unlimited pings to www.apple.com and see when the connection drops.

If that works (no drops), then go a place where they have free Wifi (like a coffee shop) and verify that it happens there.

Turn off airport and by-pass your router. Connect your MBP directly to your cable/DSL modem via an ethernet cable, see if the problem occurs.

Call you service provider. I had an issue were the solution was that the cable company installed a filter on my cable modem because I couldn't surf consistently.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 2
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I don't have anything technical to add apart from I get drop outs in my home Wi-Fi & this occurs with all my apple computers - MBP 17", 15" PB, 12" PB & G5 iMac

I don't have a PC to see if that drops it as well.....