not using mac mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi

i just got a macbook, i have not subscribed to mac mail, i have a hotmail account instead, when i try and send mail from a website it defaults to my mac mail, is here any way to change this to hotmail.

cheers in advance

deebee

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I'm not sure of how to do it myself, but isn't there a way to use Mail (the app) with Hotmail?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You could try using this:, an http mail plug in for OS X.

Haven't used it myself, but it appears to require a hotmail plus account.

Judging from the comments on version tracker, you need to follow the instructions carefully and maybe know a little bit about what you are doing. It involves creating a new account with the server and hotmail address info, which isn't a big deal, but people seem to have it work perfectly or not at all, so RTM.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You could try using this:, an http mail plug in for OS X.

Haven't used it myself, but it appears to require a hotmail plus account.

Judging from the comments on version tracker, you need to follow the instructions carefully and maybe know a little bit about what you are doing. It involves creating a new account with the server and hotmail address info, which isn't a big deal, but people seem to have it work perfectly or not at all, so RTM.

Thats great but there should be a way to set your default email program just like setting up your default browser. Anyone?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

Thats great but there should be a way to set your default email program just like setting up your default browser. Anyone?

I think he's complaining that when he clicks an a "mailto:" link on the web, it's opening up an application and not redirecting him to a hotmail compose window.

As far as I know there's no way to get around that.