Cingular Liar

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I registered just so I could share this story:

Last week I strolled into a Cingular so as to inquire whether I would be able to upgrade my current cingular phone to the iphone when it debuts. The person behind the counter kinda smirked then began his spiel.

"You don't want an iphone, they aren't going to be any good. No first generation product is good, especially something from apple."

Apparently he didn't know he was speaking to a apple extremist.

"I don't really care. I'm intent on getting an iphone."

"Well, If you want something from apple we do have another phone in the store made by Apple, its called the Blackberry Silver. Yeah, I have one, let me show you what it can do."

"Are you kidding me? Apple doesn't made Blackberry. What the hell are you talking about? Look man, I'm a diehard ok. I'm not going to purchase some bulky piece of shit with Windows Mobile. I just want to know IF I CAN TRADE UP TO THE IPHONE."

Looking pissed, "A steve Jobs man huh, We aren't even going to be carrying the iphone so I don't know. Its going to cost too much anyway for what it does. It's $599 for a 4gb and $799 for an 8gb."

"You're numbers are wrong." Then I corrected him. "Well, I guess you can't even answer my question, thanks."

If Cingular is employing fucktards like this, I can only imagine what he is telling other people. By the way, I live in Salem, OR where this happened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    That particular Cingular sales rep was clearly interested in making his commission now. Let's face it. Sales people are interested in making their commission and generally poor source of information. You will have more luck getting accurate information from MacOSRumors or something.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

You will have more luck getting accurate information from MacOSRumors or something.

<after I wipe the laugh-tears from my eyes>When you can actually point to MOSR as being more accurate than some other source, well, makes me wonder if it's beginning to snow in hell
  • Reply 3 of 20
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IheartApple View Post

Last week I strolled into a Cingular so as to inquire whether I would be able to upgrade my current cingular phone to the iphone when it debuts. The person behind the counter kinda smirked then began his spiel.

"You don't want an iphone, they aren't going to be any good. No first generation product is good, especially something from apple."

"Well, If you want something from apple we do have another phone in the store made by Apple, its called the Blackberry Silver. Yeah, I have one, let me show you what it can do."

"Are you kidding me? Apple doesn't made Blackberry. What the hell are you talking about? Look man, I'm a diehard ok. I'm not going to purchase some bulky piece of shit with Windows Mobile. I just want to know IF I CAN TRADE UP TO THE IPHONE."

Looking pissed, "A steve Jobs man huh, We aren't even going to be carrying the iphone so I don't know. Its going to cost too much anyway for what it does. It's $599 for a 4gb and $799 for an 8gb."

"You're numbers are wrong." Then I corrected him. "Well, I guess you can't even answer my question, thanks."

If Cingular is employing fucktards like this, I can only imagine what he is telling other people. By the way, I live in Salem, OR where this happened.

Good story typical of Cingular aka The New AT&T. When the time comes to buy an iPhone this June, I won't be going anywhere near a Cingular store.

Neverthelees , IheartApple , you made my day. "fucktards"--Always looking for a new and interesting portmanteau. It's what Lewis Carroll would have called that Cingular cretinecile.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's a part of the horribleness of the cell carrier world that I hope Apple can have a hand in changing, just as they are changing the music distribution world.

The average wireless store has all the low-key charm of a used car lot-- half bright young men trying to hustle up some commission action in a haze of cologne and bullshit.

If the iPhone is a hit, it will drive traffic to the Apple store for sure, because the difference between a purchase at the Apple Store and purchase at the Cingular/ATT store is the difference between lunch with a friend and trying to talk a rabid dog out of his bone.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I think we should all travel over to Salem, OR just to abuse that wanktard.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I'm guessing you don't get out much. Your experience in the Cingular store is not at all uncommon. By no means is it confined to Cingular. Sales employees are not buffs. They have their own agendas which are likely to be very different than yours.

Before you go to the store, do your homework. Walk into the store like an adult. Conduct your business like an adult. Walk out satisfied.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I'm guessing you don't get out much. Your experience in the Cingular store is not at all uncommon. By no means is it confined to Cingular. Sales employees are not buffs. They have their own agendas which are likely to be very different than yours.

Before you go to the store, do your homework. Walk into the store like an adult. Conduct your business like an adult. Walk out satisfied.

I walk in and out of stores in a very adult like manner all the time. I expect not to be openly, contemptuously lied to. Many places sell many things without resorting to the level of crap the OP described.

And I am going to find it pretty hard to walk out satisfied if the vendor has something I really want (like access to the iPhone) but I am forced to note that they hire lying dickheads, which is going to leave me wondering what the rest of the customer experience is going to be like.

I guess it's on me to do my homework and have lots of satisfying conversations about the service and billing.

Now of course, the actual satisfying adult thing to do would be to say "Thanks, I don't do business with people that lie to me" and walk out, but sometimes scarcity means that you can't get what you want, if you do that.

I hope Apple can keep as much as the experience on their side of the fence, and I hope they are all over ATT if they start getting complaints about the service.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

... Could you come down from thy mighty throne oh wise and venerable source of supreme advice dispensing {user banned for flaming - JL}.

I see that you have displayed all of the maturity that can be expected of you.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Quote:

I remember several different conversations I've listened to while at CompUSA where the salesperson was completely ignorant, or lying, in response to questions regarding Macs. My favorite being that Mac can't use the internet, and even if they could, you can only e-mail other people with Macs. Also the Apple is the only company that releases software for Macs one. I know I am forgetting a few. I am a bit surprised that these sales people, or their managers, aren't afraid of someone logging their identity, and reporting them.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LotharSNL View Post

I remember several different conversations I've listened to while at CompUSA where the salesperson was completely ignorant, or lying, in response to questions regarding Macs. My favorite being that Mac can't use the internet, and even if they could, you can only e-mail other people with Macs. Also the Apple is the only company that releases software for Macs one. I know I am forgetting a few. I am a bit surprised that these sales people, or their managers, aren't afraid of someone logging their identity, and reporting them.

I was at a high end audiostore that was listed as a NAD dealer looking to buy one of their AV receivers. The sales guy started badmouthing NAD and tried to upsell me to something else.

One complaint to NAD later, they aint a dealer no more. Of course, I don't think there's one in the area anymore either but why have a dealer that wont stock your gear, not put it in their showrooms and then bad mouths it?

Vinea
  • Reply 11 of 20
    See, I learned this very quickly: if it requires a salesperson, do research on the item before you go to purchase it. You can't let a car dealer do all the talking, you can't let an electronic store salesman coerce you, and you can't go into a situation like that ignorantly. Know your stuff so that you can converse with the salesperson, not just listen.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

See, I learned this very quickly: if it requires a salesperson, do research on the item before you go to purchase it. You can't let a car dealer do all the talking, you can't let an electronic store salesman coerce you, and you can't go into a situation like that ignorantly. Know your stuff so that you can converse with the salesperson, not just listen.

The problem with this scenario is that it's fine for you and me, people who go into a store knowing what they want. But the less tech-savvy really need to be able to rely on these sales people to do their job properly.

I generally buy my PC components online direct from a wholesaler, but on the odd occasion that I can't wait, I'll head over to PC World. PC World are also an Apple Preferred Retailer. I went in on the day Apple TV was launched (to buy a router I needed that day) and they hadn't even heard of it! I asked one guy if they had @TV in and he came back with a USB TV tuner... for a PC! I asked to speak to someone that knew a bit about Macs and his manager came over. He hadn't even heard of @TV either. Unbelieving, he went on to the Apple website and said "Oh right, don't know if we'll get that. I don't know much about Apples".

Vinea, I'm a NAD fan and have been very happy with my equipment from them. Their AV amps are particularly good and suprisingly good value for HiFi quality AV amps. What were they trying to up-sell you to?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LotharSNL View Post

I've had almost this same thing happen to me at CompUSA, no wonder the are going out of business, and I looked the guy straight in face and said in a compassionate voice.. "Oh I'm so sorry... I didn't realize you were retarded, can I speak with someone who actually knows something about computers?" This chick that was walking past started laughing so hard.. The guy was pissed.. then I just asked for the manager and he calmed down.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Blackberries don't run Windows Mobile. The Blackberry Pearl is one of the smallest smart phones on the market.

Looks like there were two people there that didn't know what they were talking about.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

"Oh I'm so sorry... I didn't realize you were retarded, can I speak with someone who actually knows something about computers?" This chick that was walking past started laughing so hard.. The guy was pissed.. then I just asked for the manager and he calmed down.

Well, generally people get pissed when someone acts like a complete jack-ass......

Seriously, that's incredibly rude, no matter how uninformed or stupid of an employee he may be.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, generally people get pissed when someone acts like a complete jack-ass......

Seriously, that's incredibly rude, no matter how uninformed or stupid of an employee he may be.

But it is even more rude to be dishonest with your customers, and also to push them to buy a product that does not meet their needs. I think that the response was both funny and appropriate.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Vinea, I'm a NAD fan and have been very happy with my equipment from them. Their AV amps are particularly good and suprisingly good value for HiFi quality AV amps. What were they trying to up-sell you to?

I don't recall anymore...

Vinea
  • Reply 18 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

But it is even more rude to be dishonest with your customers, and also to push them to buy a product that does not meet their needs. I think that the response was both funny and appropriate.

Well it seems along the two wrongs making a right line of logic to me.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I thought it was called for. The guy needed to realize his place and that his job could be in jeopardy for such actions. He assumed I was an idiot. I assumed he must have been retarted.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    No, I don't think that either of the two were right with their actions. #1, the salesman shouldn't've lied the way he did, but #2, IheartApple shouldn't've cursed at him and been so rude. That's really ridiculous and unnecessary. I don't care how ignorant or misleading the salesman acts, all you gotta do is ask for someone more knowledgable or a manager and be done with it. Personal attacks, cursing, bashing, and things of that sort are wholly unnecessary.