Quake, Kazaa and Virtual PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Im interested in an iBook but I want to know if Quake will work on it, if there is Kazaa for Mac, and how good Virtual PC is for online playing through a Win2k installation.

Thanx,

Dale Mox

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dale Mox:

<strong>Im interested in an iBook but I want to know if Quake will work on it, if there is Kazaa for Mac, and how good Virtual PC is for online playing through a Win2k installation.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) Quake - a mac version of quake is available from idgames. i have the demo, and it works fine and will work fine on your ibook--might want to get one with a 32mb radeon 7500 though.

2) Kazaa - you shouldn't be downloading illegal software or music. provided you use it strictly for archival, personal backup purposes, limewire and others are available for OS X, and they do the same thing.

3) Virtual PC - it works okay as long as nothing involving 3d acceleration is involved. if these are simple text, 2d graphics type online games, you'll be fine. if it's anything complicated, virtual PC will not be good enough.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    there is no Kazaa for Mac.

Gnutella sucks sweaty donkey balls compared to Kazaa for the width and bredth of files available for sharing.

Jet

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: Jet Powers ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Jet Powers:

<strong>Gnutella sucks sweaty donkey balls</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now that's just plain gross. (and untrue)

Besides, downloading stuff which is NOT freeware which you have not paid for and that isn't yours is stealing.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Direct Connect was recently released for OS X, I find it WAAAAY better than Kazaa, so your p2p issues will be solved. There IS good p2p on the Mac now.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I'd like to know where I can find direct connect and whether I can download software for mac from it. Honestly, without software, the mac is useless. This is where PCs have an advantage. If this doesn't work, I'll just get a Gateway laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dale Mox:

<strong>I'd like to know where I can find direct connect and whether I can download software for mac from it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're in the wrong board
  • Reply 7 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Just FYI, threads that get into any detail about piracy tend to vanish. AI does not condone piracy.

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    What are you saying?

I honestly believe that the only way Apple will expand and become more popular, especially in China is through software piracy.

Without software piracy, Apple will never become popular especially in developing countries such as China where the market is huge.

There are more personal computers in China than in the US already. The computer market is continuing to expand at an incredible rate.

Apple holds a pathetic 0.2% of the personal computer market in China.

Piracy is the way to go.

I'm writing Steve Jobs a letter about the matter.

The guys in Apple China are clueless as to how to begin. Apple must focus on China.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:

<strong>What are you saying?

I honestly believe that the only way Apple will expand and become more popular, especially in China is through software piracy.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

AI is not China. Any IPs of or links to servers, instructions, etc. for pirating software will result in the offending post being edited, and a warning to the offender, at the bare minimum.

If you or someone else wants to trade in pirated goods, do it elsewhere.

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>