NAS base on AppleTV; Are Apple Interested?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Looking at AppleTV, for 299 it is similarly priced to todays HOME / SOHO NAS with much better Hardware. By taking out

Geforce 7300

40Gb 2.5" HD

B/G/N Wireless Module

HDMI and Other output

Shouldn't this give apple a good base to work on their NAS?

All it need is a larger casing, a Large Fan for the HD. A structure for holding 4 HD and add Gigabit Ethernet to it. Strip down Leopard Server to the minimum and we should have a NAS that is better then all others currently on the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Looking at AppleTV, for 299 it is similarly priced to todays HOME / SOHO NAS with much better Hardware. By taking out

Geforce 7300

40Gb 2.5" HD

B/G/N Wireless Module

HDMI and Other output

Shouldn't this give apple a good base to work on their NAS?

All it need is a larger casing, a Large Fan for the HD. A structure for holding 4 HD and add Gigabit Ethernet to it. Strip down Leopard Server to the minimum and we should have a NAS that is better then all others currently on the market.

It should have SATA then
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'd rather see something like the HP home server, but then with osx server.

With raid, obviously
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

With raid, obviously

The os that is on the HP home server will run on any pc what m$ starts selling windows home sever.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

With raid, obviously

Well that is exactly what i was talking about. A Apple Home Server. With a Strip down OS Server inside.

We would need a slight update to the hardware. Like a newer South bridge for SATA and Gigabit ethernet and possibly a north bridge without IGfx. As a matter of fact Intel UMPC roadmap 's component fits very well although i am not sure would it be more expensive.

There is a huge market for it and even HP and Dell are coming in to play. Why aren't apple doing anything?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Well that is exactly what i was talking about. A Apple Home Server. With a Strip down OS Server inside.

We would need a slight update to the hardware. Like a newer South bridge for SATA and Gigabit ethernet and possibly a north bridge without IGfx. As a matter of fact Intel UMPC roadmap 's component fits very well although i am not sure would it be more expensive.

There is a huge market for it and even HP and Dell are coming in to play. Why aren't apple doing anything?

Apple's focus is the laptop and the pro workstation markets, as far as macs go.

These are growth area's, with little decent competition. Dell and HP fight it out in the home/office/SMB desktop space. This is the kind of product that'd fit well with a traditional home/SMB network setup, therefore not so likely from Apple.

Then again, appletv made it a little bit more likely.