Parallels Desktop for Mac Disk Usage?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Parallels' sales page says that it wants 15GB of disk space for Windows XP. Is this real world stuff or blue sky? I have a 100GB disk on my 17" portable and don't want to use it all up on Windows!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post

Parallels' sales page says that it wants 15GB of disk space for Windows XP. Is this real world stuff or blue sky? I have a 100GB disk on my 17" portable and don't want to use it all up on Windows!

I think it could eventually take up that much but certainly not right away. I discovered that my Parallels was using about 7-8GB after a month or two so I got rid of it and went with a 10GB Bootcamp partition. I can turn off the page file in Bootcamp Windows too and I save an extra 1.5GB space.

XP itself uses about 2GB in total so depending on what you copy to the drive, you can keep it pretty low. One issue I have with the Parallels drive image is that it doesn't go down when you delete stuff. You have to go through a long compression procedure to free up the space again.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    The thing that impresses me about Parallels is that it runs XP and OSX at the same time. I've tried dual boots in the past and they were frustrating because I always needed what was on the other system while I was logged into the other.