Apple finally rolls out 8-core Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Wednesday quietly introduced a version of its Mac Pro professional workstation that sports 8 processor cores via two Intel Xeon quad-core microprocessors.

When purchasing a Mac Pro through the company's online store, customers can now choose to build their machines with a pair 3GHz quad-core "Clovertown" Xeons.

The 8-core Clovertown option adds $1,498 to the Mac Pro's base price of $2,499. The base system continues to offer quad-core computing via two 2.66GHz dual-core Intel Xeon “Woodcrest” processors. Woodcrest Mac Pro systems are also available for configuration with 2GHz and 3GHz chips.

Customers can configure the Mac Pro with over 4.9 million build-to-order options including: up to 16GB of 667 MHz DDR2 fully-buffered ECC memory; up to four 750GB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm; up to two 16x SuperDrives with double-layer support; ATI Radeon X1900 XT and NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 graphics cards, both with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM; AirPort Extreme module, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module; Apple USB Modem; Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse; Mac OS X Server Tiger; Apple Xsan; and Apple Fibre Channel PCI Express Card.

AppleInsider first detailed the 8-core Mac Pro in an exclusive report back in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    NAB maybe ... 16 Core + Blu-Ray?
  • Reply 2 of 164
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

NAB maybe ... 16 Core + Blu-Ray?

Don't think Intel have released any MP Core-based chips.
  • Reply 3 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Don't think Intel have released any MP Core-based chips.

I meant 4 x '3 GHz Intel 5300' ... and only kidding But then again ...
  • Reply 4 of 164
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    finally some news on the Macintosh front!
  • Reply 5 of 164
    They also lowered the prices of all cinema displays... but so far no one has notcied nice news gathering

New Prices:

20" $599.00

23" $899.00

30" $1,799.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...=AppleDisplays

You guys took about 45 minutes longer than most and couldnt even add this lol
  • Reply 6 of 164
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

And after that, they could give a sneak peak at an upcoming project called SkyNet which was originally set to be released August 4th, 1997 but was delayed to unforseen "setbacks."
  • Reply 7 of 164
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple View Post

They also lowered the prices of all cinema displays... but so far no one has notcied nice news gathering

New Prices:

20" $599.00

23" $899.00

30" $1,799.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...=AppleDisplays

You guys took about 45 minutes longer than most and couldnt even add this lol

haha it did take them awhile to notice, there was another thread already started about it, anyways that still isnt a good pricerange, 600 dollars for a monitor, pshht and it doesnt even have hd in the 20 inch.

are they waiting for leopards resolution independance to release new displays?
  • Reply 8 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And after that, they could give a sneak peak at an upcoming project called SkyNet which was originally set to be released August 4th, 1997 but was delayed to unforseen "setbacks."

I'd settle for BTO Blu-Ray player / burner with the 8 Core at NAB.
  • Reply 9 of 164
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    finally they released them, guess they were waiting for the 3.0ghz quad-cores instead of the 2.66ghz most people thought they would get? that's pretty cool, I'll be interested to see what apple's stock does in the next couple days, and what that, coupled with cs3 release, will do for the mac pro's sales.
  • Reply 10 of 164
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, so much for the "Apple Tuesdays".

This is nice, but obviously isn't anything new, as far as the machine itself goes. Just an update.

I can't see new machines coming out at NAB now, though. Biut, it's still possible for the Dev Conf in June. However, I'm getting the feeling that it won't be until January.
  • Reply 11 of 164
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

As the 53*0s aren't MP capable, it's impossible.

I can only see the 8-core MacPro on the US site though. Any reason for this?

I'm beginning to wonder if Jony Ive really does anything to deserve that $1 million per annum...
  • Reply 12 of 164
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

finally they released them, guess they were waiting for the 3.0ghz quad-cores instead of the 2.66ghz most people thought they would get? that's pretty cool, I'll be interested to see what apple's stock does in the next couple days, and what that, coupled with cs3 release, will do for the mac pro's sales.

Yeah, I had thought that 3.0 FGHz was a given.
  • Reply 13 of 164
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    That is a nice upgrade. I wish I had the money I would definately get one.
  • Reply 14 of 164
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

finally some news on the Macintosh front!

second that
  • Reply 15 of 164
    I have been waiting for this since last October (or whenever it was that Anand Tech got these things going). I will be ordering today!

The Sage

HeySage.com | Mac Tutorials and Reviews
  • Reply 16 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, so much for the "Apple Tuesdays".

This is nice, but obviously isn't anything new, as far as the machine itself goes. Just an update.

I can't see new machines coming out at NAB now, though. Biut, it's still possible for the Dev Conf in June. However, I'm getting the feeling that it won't be until January.

Don't give on on NAB yet for another Mac Pro or at least a seriously tricked out one. There has been talk of a $10,000 HD machine to take on high end Avids. The BBC in UK just announced they were moving their HD department over to FCPro... maybe they know something we don't yet.
  • Reply 17 of 164
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

That is a nice upgrade. I wish I had the money I would definately get one.

I have the money now, but there is no change graphics options at all, yet there are many new graphics card offerings from vendors. ATI has a better card, and Nvidia has a much better cards.

I'm glad about the displays, and I was planning on getting one anyway, but without a free upgrade to leopard, and better graphics cards I'm going to take my chances and hold out a little while longer.

Is anyone (ATI - Nvidia) selling EFI cards anywhere other than from Apples site?
  • Reply 18 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I have the money now, but there is no change graphics options at all, yet there are many new graphics card offerings from vendors. ATI has a better card, and Nvidia has a much better cards.

I'm glad about the displays, and I was planning on getting one anyway, but without a free upgrade to leopard, and better graphics cards I'm going to take my chances and hold out a little while longer.

Is anyone (ATI - Nvidia) selling EFI cards anywhere other than from Apples site?

I agree. I am thinking this is a short lived, interim Mac Pro (albeit a nice machine) to be replaced soon with the real next generation Mac Pro... (Mac Pro HD maybe?) and that maybe only when Leopard is shipping.
  • Reply 19 of 164
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Great to see the 8-core Mac Pro is finally here, but I expected a bit more. Another newer graphics card option would have been nice. I wasn't really expecting SLI.

Good to see they lowered the cost of the Apple Cinema Displays.

Now to cost out a Quad 3.0Ghz and a Octo 3.0Ghz and choose one or the other. I wonder what the ship times are. Can't wait to start burning DL DVDs, I've been stuck burning SL DVDs only.
  • Reply 20 of 164
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Is the slower FSB a big drawback ?!?! I would think it does...but to what degree?