Formating New Computer With OSX

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just bought a new 17" MacBook Pro and want to recapture as much of the drive as possible. I don't have anything on it so I am not concerned with losing data.

I was reading on Slash Dot the following advice:

"You may not want to do this, but I'll mention it anyway. Like when you buy a Windows machine, Apples will come loaded with "free" crap that you probably don't want. Maybe you do, probably you don't want all of it. I always reformat and reinstall. If want to do this, it'll be pretty easy. Put the install disk in, reboot, and hold "C" as it's rebooting. My advice on what to install: Don't install Classic unless you need it. If you don't need Classic, don't install the "Classic drivers" for the hard drive (or whatever they're called. It's an option when you're reformatting using the disk utility). Other things to avoid unless you need it: X11 and Xcode (if you aren't going to run Xwindows apps, and you aren't going to program, these will just take up space, and you can't really get rid of them) iDVD and GarageBand (if you aren't going to use them, they'll take up a whole lot of space, just from the templates/samples) Internet Explorer ('cause who wants it)."

Is this true? And what is X11 or Xcode or Xwindows?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Get AppZapper...its 10$ I think which is cheap. If you do not want it, use it to get rid of it and all its files.

Also, there is a program out there that removes other languages and such, which saves a few gigs.

edit: this is the app http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Monolingual is great, it will throw out hundreds of megs of stuff that you don't want. However, if you are not careful it will gladly throw out hundreds of megs of stuff that you do want. Like the language support of Rosetta. Be careful with it!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    So is there any benefit to reinstalling OSX without all this stuff in the first place?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post

So is there any benefit to reinstalling OSX without all this stuff in the first place?

Well, I don't know about the post you gave - but with me, I had to install X11 and X-Code, becase it was not on the HD. If it was me, I would remove them with AppZap, but that is me. I don't use most Apple apps (e.g. iDVD) but I keep them there since there is plenty of HD space.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    I reformated the drive, removed the language files and the trials and saved a BIT of free space. It may not be worth it in the long run but I felt adventurous!