"It all comes together at WWDC 07"...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has everyone seen the latest 'invite' Apple sent to WWDC this year?

The "it all comes together" line seems to suggest that we'll be waiting on Leopard's release until then; and presumably Leopard will indeed have some cool ways of brining the iPod, Apple TV, iPhone, and more 'together'; and perhaps a 'unified' UI?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    i just really hope leopard blows my mind. not just a stupid little panther to tiger upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

Yes.

Quote:

The "it all comes together" line seems to suggest that we'll be waiting on Leopard's release until then.

I should hope so.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    if everything, and by everything i mean leopard, iphone and possibly, but probably not, new ipods, comes out at wwdc, would be so happy. i would litterally jump up and down. best get saving
  • Reply 4 of 22
    steve jobs better make bill gates wet his pants
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

steve jobs better make bill gates wet his pants

he'd better
  • Reply 6 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It just means that you, the developer, come together with other developers, Apple's people, and whatever hardware/software goodies might be in the offing. As in "at the same place at the same time."

Apple always talks about the WWDC this way, it's standard boilerplate, and really can't be taken as suggesting anything at all re awesomeness.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    WAY TO CRUSH MY DREAMS!

seriously though, steve has alluded to the fact that leopard will be something special, and with all this hype, it better be
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Oh, I have no doubt Leopard will make an appearance at WWDC, in some form or another.

I just worry that people are starting to construct this fantasy of some kind of massive, "everything at once in one magnificent game changing synergistic head exploding check mate Apple wins" moment. Which seems unlikely.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, I have no doubt Leopard will make an appearance at WWDC, in some form or another.

I just worry that people are starting to construct this fantasy of some kind of massive, "everything at once in one magnificent game changing synergistic head exploding check mate Apple wins" moment. Which seems unlikely.

My point is that it won't be released until at least a few weeks after WWDC. It sounds too much like the sessions and themes are about 'preparing' for Leopard, not utilizing it in market. My suspicion that SPRING is now out is growing; could be an August release.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

VERY unlikely. These are the people that crash emotionally after an announcement because they've built up so much excitement. I've noticed also that people want KILLER FEATURES yet when pressed many cannot articulate just what a KF would be.

I didn't think that much of Expose when I first saw it but man I'd feel a loss if I didn't have it. KF don't always appear as useful at the onset as they eventually become.

I already know enough about Leopard to know I want it sooner rather than later. When developers start telling you they are quickly going to move to Leopard only that should be a hint that a lot of good stuff has changed that cannot easily be done in Tiger. THAT is progress.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

VERY unlikely. These are the people that crash emotionally after an announcement because they've built up so much excitement. I've noticed also that people want KILLER FEATURES yet when pressed many cannot articulate just what a KF would be.

I didn't think that much of Expose when I first saw it but man I'd feel a loss if I didn't have it. KF don't always appear as useful at the onset as they eventually become.

I already know enough about Leopard to know I want it sooner rather than later. When developers start telling you they are quickly going to move to Leopard only that should be a hint that a lot of good stuff has changed that cannot easily be done in Tiger. THAT is progress.

Yeah. I expect there is going to be a lot of pissing and moaning around here when it turns out that Leopard is "only" the next iteration of OS X and not some completely new way to interact with your computer that makes your jaw drop.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

The "it all comes together" line seems to suggest that we'll be waiting on Leopard's release until then; and presumably Leopard will indeed have some cool ways of brining the iPod, Apple TV, iPhone, and more 'together'; and perhaps a 'unified' UI?

That isn't the same mysterious vague teaser that Apple usually has when it announces something big. It seems like they are just referring to development and the new OS technologies.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

trust me i have already prepared for disappointment, i am just a pessimist like that. but steve jobs has really boosted up the hype.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

i just really hope leopard blows my mind. not just a stupid little panther to tiger upgrade.

Since Leopard has had the longest development period since 10.0 I doubt very seriously that it will be a small upgrade.

Bring it all together probably covers integration improvements with the iPod, iPhone, maybe Apple TV. Throw in a new Leopard oriented iLife and iWork. Maybe even FileMaker will join the party - probably sometime in the future.

My credit card is ready.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Since Leopard has had the longest development period since 10.0 I doubt very seriously that it will be a small upgrade.

it'll be a black background interface with white and blue text. woop woop!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

it'll be a black background interface with white and blue text. woop woop!

like the buttons in full screen editing in iphoto?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

like the buttons in full screen editing in iphoto?

i don't recall what that looks like but think Apple TV, iPhone and various places on the apple web site.

all kidding aside, I hope that Leopard is more than a color switch. I wasn't much impressed with Panther to Tiger so Tiger to Leopard had better be more than 'optimized and improved spotlight search and added stupid templates to Mail.app. whilst colouring all black.'
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

i don't recall what that looks like but think Apple TV, iPhone and various places on the apple web site.

all kidding aside, I hope that Leopard is more than a color switch. I wasn't much impressed with Panther to Tiger so Tiger to Leopard had better be more than 'optimized and improved spotlight search and added stupid templates to Mail.app. whilst colouring all black.'

http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/iphoto...ullscreen.html thats what the buttons look like.

and dont forget those secret features mind. but then again, we dont know about those, so we can only dream... but i also hope leopard will rock
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Insightful. But true.

Most of the pre-Leopard buzz is about it being for developers. 64 bit. Core Animation. Open GL 2.1. Automator 2. X-Code 3... X-Ray. We may not see the fruits of their labours until some time after. And I'm not holding out much hope for Adobe to have done anything 'Core Image/Video' like with their Mac version of PS CS3.

However, I think the 'secret' features are new 'iTunes' led user interface. A new Black based colour theme. Spotlight 2. Time Machine. Templates in Mail. iLife '07' Leopard Edition. iWorks plus Spreadsheet app. iPhone special integration. And lots of 'secret' features we may know nothing about.

It took me two paragraphs to overview 'some' of the features. I think it will be the most significant release since OS X debuted. And the developmental time backs that up. And it has to be.

Never has M$ been so vulnerable and people so 'meh' about Vista/Windows. We've reached a crossroads. Average sales of 1.5 million Macs per quarter. They can go up? Or down. And with more consumers than ever before showing interest in the Mac. 100 million iPods sold. iPhone imminent. Vista about a year from being patched right. And at least one Fortune 500 company considering the 'overall' cost savings going to a 'dual boot' parallax set up?

Tipping Point.

Apple has to hit hard. Accurately. Comprehensively. Devastatingly.

They'd do well to make sure they take Leopard to the 'end of June' wire.

Sales of 2 million plus Macs per quarter beckon.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:

seriously though, steve has alluded to the fact that leopard will be something special, and with all this hype, it better be

It is in my experience that every time Jobsy alludes to something being special, it ends up being a revelation not unlike the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls.