New Macs .... New Adobe products ... but did they leave out.....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Anyone know if there is going to be an update to (macromedia) now Adobe Director MX 2004?

I found this http://www.ksdd.com/articles/?p=121

Yet when I called Adobe.. I got a sales Rep that said Director's plug had been pulled

Did the Rep NOT know what he was talking about?

ARE MAC USERS LEFT WITH A PRODUCT THAT WILL *NEVER* HAVE INTEL WRITTEN CODE ??? !!!! ??? !!! ????

Has anyone used Director on a 'higher end Mac (aka MacPro ? .... I have a Mac Book C2D and it bites using Director

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I would expect some Director features to be integrated into Flash. Hopefully the 3D support. Actionscript was always more popular and it doesn't make sense to have two apps that are set up almost identically when a unified solution is possible.

Some people suggest that Apollo may be its replacement:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/apollo/
  • Reply 2 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What's with using every color in the rainbow to make your point, M.O.S.T.? Tone it down, you're hurting eyeballs.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's with using every color in the rainbow to make your point, M.O.S.T.? Tone it down, you're hurting eyeballs.

I spent 1,200$ on a product that will NOT likely ever have an update or bug fixe(s) for that matter.... as well as only 'kinda works' on Intel Macs, Thats why
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    You're acting as if we, users of the AppleInsider forum, are the bad guys.

Please, mail Adobe with Arial Bold 72pt letters!

Why did you buy Director if I may ask?

Five years ago I predicted Director being phased out. The underlying technology and concept is old, Lingo sucks, and Flash nowadays is much faster even with bitmaps. Flash developes easier. There are Flash add-ons for "Flash on the desktop", there are 3d solutions (Unity, www.otee.dk)...Director is just being sold because a lot of people are still using it (e.g habbohotel.com).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

...Why did you buy Director if I may ask?

Five years ago I predicted Director being phased out. The underlying technology and concept is old, Lingo sucks, and Flash nowadays is much faster even with bitmaps. Flash developes easier. There are Flash add-ons for "Flash on the desktop", there are 3d solutions (Unity, www.otee.dk)...Director is just being sold because a lot of people are still using it (e.g habbohotel.com).

Bingo. Sorry to hear of your challenges M.O.S.T., but the sooner you move away from Director to Flash or other options, the better. Flash 8 is highly mature (despite some bugs but there are a lot of workarounds), and Flash CS3 will be great. There is some *FREAKIN AMAZING* Flash coding happening out there, including particle and physics algorithms, etc.

As for 3D, either it can be "simulted" in Flash or there are other plug-ins. Shockwave is dead, I have to say. Dead. Flash is the king now. If you are going to get people to download the Shockwave (not Flash) plug-in, you might as well use Flash or a proprietary plug-in if you are doing something very specific.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

I spent 1,200$ on a product that will NOT likely ever have an update or bug fixe(s) for that matter.... as well as only 'kinda works' on Intel Macs, Thats why

Hope your future purchases and planning will be more fortunate, good luck. (I'm not being sarcastic here...).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

Anyone know if there is going to be an update to (macromedia) now Adobe Director MX 2004?

I found this http://www.ksdd.com/articles/?p=121

Yet when I called Adobe.. I got a sales Rep that said Director's plug had been pulled

Did the Rep NOT know what he was talking about?

ARE MAC USERS LEFT WITH A PRODUCT THAT WILL *NEVER* HAVE INTEL WRITTEN CODE ??? !!!! ??? !!! ????

Has anyone used Director on a 'higher end Mac (aka MacPro ? .... I have a Mac Book C2D and it bites using Director :

Notice also the "2004" in that image... \
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Bingo. Sorry to hear of your challenges M.O.S.T., but the sooner you move away from Director to Flash or other options, the better. Flash 8 is highly mature (despite some bugs but there are a lot of workarounds), and Flash CS3 will be great. There is some *FREAKIN AMAZING* Flash coding happening out there, including particle and physics algorithms, etc.

As for 3D, either it can be "simulted" in Flash or there are other plug-ins. Shockwave is dead, I have to say. Dead. Flash is the king now. If you are going to get people to download the Shockwave (not Flash) plug-in, you might as well use Flash or a proprietary plug-in if you are doing something very specific.

I have been using Director since 2000. I have yet to use it to produce a single shockwave file as all my apps are for tradeshow exhibit interactive kiosks and games. In my opinion, Director stands out for me as a great tool for building desktop applications. I build games and apps that need multiple moniors all at full screen. I need to be able to build apps that stretch to 4000 pixels wide (I've got a 4-monitor horizontal animation for a video display 40 feet long). Flash's max width is 2880 (even in CS3). I've got gameshow apps running two 84" plasmas and a controller monitor.

IMO, Director's strengths these days lay not in its web apps but in its ability to interact with the system resources of the desktop. One of my projects uses a laser scanner to scan bar codes of ID badges to capture data of kiosk users. the same app will use a USB mag stripe reader at another gig.

Now I admit that I have much more experience with Director than Flash. Is Flash able to interact with serial devices? Are there Plug-ins for Flash that extend its capability to handle these kinds of tasks?

I think that Director might have a chance as a multimedia development tool for desktop apps but I do think that shockwave for the web is dead. I've heard they moved all the director developers over to flash once flash started taking off. Hopefully they'll revisit the idea of a desktop app developing tool.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    {EDIT} somehow posted twice
  • Reply 10 of 10
    First off.. when you call adobe, your not calling adobe. Adobe outsources to a Company called Stream. In fact, most technical places you can think of uses stream. And stream does not know what they are talking about.. I used to work for them under the Sirius satellite radio contract. So them saying they have no clue.. doesn't surprise me..