Adobe Premiere Pro for Mac OX 10.4?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi

Have been using Final Cut for editing and am considering a switch to the new Premier Pro, due to the complexity of FCPro settings/set up etc.

Am running a 2 ghz MacBook Pro Core duo. 1.5 Ram

Has anyone heard:

1. Are adobe making a Premier Pro,version to run on OX10.4 (NOT wndows via parrallels) ?

2. If so, are there any issues with smooth running of Premier Pro?

3. Would I need to get any extras built into my laptop, other than increasing the RAM (possibly)?

many thanks

markwestbury 1.5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markwestbury View Post

Hi

Have been using Final Cut for editing and am considering a switch to the new Premier Pro, due to the complexity of FCPro settings/set up etc.

I've used both and Premiere isn't easier to set up IMO. It's also less stable and much less intuitive. It depends on what you do but Premiere is really geared towards home users, which you'd assume would make it easier but I didn't think so. I work beside professional film makers and all the courses they attended and contacts they have use Final Cut. It's pretty much industry standard now. If you need something easy to use, you might consider Final Cut Express, which is $299 compared to Premiere's $799.

Quote:

1. Are adobe making a Premier Pro,version to run on OX10.4 (NOT wndows via parrallels) ?

Yes, it runs natively in OS X. There are some extra apps in CS3 like OnLocation which are Windows only but Premiere is native.

Quote:

I imagine the CS3 version will run well but I would wait a while for professionals to give it a proper review.

Quote:

3. Would I need to get any extras built into my laptop, other than increasing the RAM (possibly)?

If you have 1.5GB Ram, that should be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Hi

Am running a 2 ghz MacBook Pro Core duo. 1.5 Ram

Has anyone heard:

many thanks

markwestbury 1.5

I think if you move to Premiere Pro CS3 (even though native smooth on Mac OSX 10.4) for $799 - you will be disappointed.

Why don't you upgrade your ram to 3GB or 2GB total? Then in a few weeks you should be able to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 6 for around $699.00 to $899. More worth it than $799 for Premiere.

If you are really running into problems then, yeah, Final Cut Express HD - wait for the next version coming soon, the Express version of Final Cut Studio 6 coming in a few weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I've used both and Premiere isn't easier to set up IMO. It's also less stable and much less intuitive. It depends on what you do but Premiere is really geared towards home users, which you'd assume would make it easier but I didn't think so. I work beside professional film makers and all the courses they attended and contacts they have use Final Cut. It's pretty much industry standard now. If you need something easy to use, you might consider Final Cut Express, which is $299 compared to Premiere's $799.

Yes, it runs natively in OS X. There are some extra apps in CS3 like OnLocation which are Windows only but Premiere is native.

I imagine the CS3 version will run well but I would wait a while for professionals to give it a proper review.

If you have 1.5GB Ram, that should be fine.

I had a really good read on this, very detail, and very useful information.

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hi All,

Thanks very much for the feeedback !!! Been very helpful.

Shall stick with FCP.

cheers

markwestbury