AVI on iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I KNOW this is a stupid question so don't hate me for posting it, but I have a shred of hope that maybe I'm just ignorent and clueless and that there might be a solution out there.

Ok, here's my question, I have over 200gigs of AVI formatted video and was wondering if theres ANYWAY or any software that i can get to allow my iPod to play videos formatted in AVI. It bothers me that I can play them on Quicktime and iTunes and not my iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well...you can put Linux on the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    You can convert them with iSquint. That may be laborious as you have do many gigs, though. There is an option in iTunes, that will allow you to "convert for iPod". Open the Movies folder, select a movie and I think it's under "Tools" -- not at the mac right now. But look around and you should find it. Maybe that would work?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    yea, I know I can do that, but I want to keep my AVI files as AVI files. I don't want to lose quality by switching to MP4, not to mention the sound also begins to trail.

My question is strictly can i get AVI on to my ipod in anyway
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Again, yes. Install Linux on the iPod. For what you are asking, this is the only option.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    iPod linux only plays specially formated uncompressed AVI. It won't play anything compressed, and that probably means every AVIs Cato988 owns cannot be played on an iPod, even with Linux.

The iPod processor is not powerful enough to decode DiVX or any compressed AVIs. The reason it can play .h264 and .mp4 is that it includes a special hardware decoding chip specifically made to decode these two formats. And from the look of it, you cannot reprogram this chip to decode other formats, it's hard-wired for .h264 and MPEG-4.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

iPod linux only plays specially formated uncompressed AVI. It won't play anything compressed, and that probably means every AVIs Cato988 owns cannot be played on an iPod, even with Linux.

The iPod processor is not powerful enough to decode DiVX or any compressed AVIs. The reason it can play .h264 and .mp4 is that it includes a special hardware decoding chip specifically made to decode these two formats. And from the look of it, you cannot reprogram this chip to decode other formats, it's hard-wired for .h264 and MPEG-4.

ok thanks... So I've got a new question for you know. How much quality would i lose in my AVI files if i convert it to mpeg via quicktime pro? I know it'll take FOREVER, but that might be what i have to do.