Linux question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
today i got a bit bored, so i decided , from seeing a video on youtube a while ago, to see if linux was worth a go. 'ok', i thought, 'you can boot it from a cd, ive seen it before, so i must be able to do it'. (the reason i dont want to install it is because i need all the space i can get, only having a 60gb (well, 55.9gb) HDD, im running a 1.83ghz core duo macbook)

so i go to the ubuntu site, downloaded it and burn it to a cd using disk utility, like it said on the website, restarted, held down the 'option' key, selected the cd.

this is where the problem starts.

i have a few options, basically asking to install, but i dont want to, i just want to boot if from the cd.

i know its possible to just boot it from a cd/dvd, but how is it done?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    This link seems to indicate that the install option will dump you into a Live desktop.

Which version of Ubuntu did you download? If it's not a "Desktop" CD, then you do not have the Live functionality.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

This link seems to indicate that the install option will dump you into a Live desktop.

Which version of Ubuntu did you download? If it's not a "Desktop" CD, then you do not have the Live functionality.

yeh it was the 'desktop' cd, and its version 6.10.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Pick the install option and see what happens. It will not install anything to your hard drive until you tell it to. The menus will ask for your locale, keyboard type, language, etc. and then you should end up at a usable desktop with an "Install" icon on it.

I've been playing with the Ubuntu server install so much lately, I forget what the desktop install looks like
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Pick the install option and see what happens. It will not install anything to your hard drive until you tell it to. The menus will ask for your locale, keyboard type, language, etc. and then you should end up at a usable desktop with an "Install" icon on it.

I've been playing with the Ubuntu server install so much lately, I forget what the desktop install looks like

it kernal panics i checked the disc integrity, no problems. ill try it again so i can say exactly whats happening.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Try searching on the Ubuntu forums for users with similar issues. I've never tried to boot Linux on my MBP and have no intention of doing so
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ok this is what comes up:

Kernal Panic - not syncing:10-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send report. Then try booting with the 'noapic' option
  • Reply 7 of 8
    all sorted now

thanks for the feed back
  • Reply 8 of 8
    No problem... Glad you got it!