Apple Should Merge With Sirius

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Been lurking for awhile and just came up with my own future idea/speculation. Let me know what you think.

Quote:

100 million people now have an iPod. So, how should Apple celebrate? I say that they release something innovative, something that no one expects. We all want wide screen video viewing in the next (6G) iPod and we will probably get it. We all want a touchscreen iPod, and we will probably get that too. Apple will probably also equip the next iPod with flash based memory, giving us more storage and longer battery life. But, what if Apple gave us something that we haven’t really asked for or thought of before. What if Apple signed a deal with Sirius, and gave us the ultimate portable music device.

Here’s my idea for Apple. First, partner up with Sirius. They are about to merge with XM and the combination will soon created the only satellite radio provider. With the two companies together, they currently have about 15 million subscribers and we know that they would be more than eager to get into the iPod market. Next, bring the brilliant design minds of Apple together and integrate a satellite radio receiver into an iPod. Just envision an iPod that has the typical storage room for your own personal music library but then also gives you the ability to listen to satellite radio programming. You could listen to commercial free music, talk radio such as Howard Stern, and every major sports broadcast…right on your iPod. (I’ve even heard that portable satellite radio works on planes)

Moving on. Sirius currently offers two portable radio devices which boast portable radio technology but only 2 GB of personal music storage. We all know that Apple could find a way to fit a satellite radio receiver into an iPod. If they can fit all of those goodies into the iPhone, they can definitely pull this one off.

Read on...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's bad netiquette to not provide some text here.

My suggestion is that you should copy a third of your article. If that first third interests people they'll click your link to read the rest.

Some boards would delete your orginal post as spam because it doesn't contain enough info.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Fixed
  • Reply 3 of 19
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    NO!

Serious would just be DEAD WEIGHT!

Apple has proven more than ever that people don't want to rent their music, they want to own it. And they want total control.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by econoar View Post

Fixed

Sweet.

Now isn't Sirius carrying a lot of debt? Perhaps rather than merging Apple should foster combining resources.

The engame here really isn't the music because Apple has the covered. The Golden Goose Egg here is Sirius' Nav Traffic.

Now imagine if Apple brough Multitouch to the car with Sirius Nav Traffic support. Apple would in turn add Sirius capablility to high end iPods (providing it's feasible) and iTunes would have a desktop Sirius option.

Quid Pro Quo.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

NO!

Serious would just be DEAD WEIGHT!

Apple has proven more than ever that people don't want to rent their music, they want to own it. And they want total control.

While I disagree with the idea the orignal post presented, I don't agree with this as an adequate reason against.

There are currently somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 million people with Satellite radios right now, and more and more you're seeing them show up in option packages for the auto manufacturers. Satellite radio offers a much better experience than terrestrial, offers parental controls, and also offers regional programming nationwide, which is a HUGE advantage (NFL, MLB, NBA, traffic reports, etc.)

While neither Sirius nor XM are cash cows, it's still an emerging market with tons of potential. But to suggest that satellite radio is doomed to fail because online music rental have failed is a poor argument at best, grossly misinformed at worst.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Radio is dead, dude. Podcasts are Apple's idea of 21st century radio. I'm betting that Apple's interested in any radio company is lower than their interest in selling actual apples.

The fact that Sirius does good business doesn't matter. Apple's not going to buy every tech/media company that does good business. What matters is, will this fit into their larger strategy of digital entertainment? It doesn't. It doesn't get you to use iTunes. It doesn't get you to buy a Mac so you could make you own Sirius programming. It doesn't make thousands of websites put up little "Subscribe via iTunes" badges. This is why they're into podcasting and not satellite radio. AppleTV will never do cable or broadcast television programming for the same reasons.

So, while you think that this may be a good idea, Apple has a 94.25 stock that says you're wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by econoar View Post

... Let me know what you think.

I think that the author of your linked article never used Sirius outside the corporate limits of a large city. I am an XM subscriber which has better positioned satellites. Even XM is crap in areas with obstructed views of the sky. Drive under a filling station awning? Lose reception. Go indoors? Lose reception. Rainstorm? Lose reception. Get the idea? Satellite radio works in urban areas because it isn't satellite radio in urban areas. XM and Sirius use terrestrial-based repeaters there. Make no mistake--I love my XM radio. However, here in the boondocks where we actually get our satellite radio from satellites, satellite radio is an imperfect experience.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That would be a lot of use in Europe.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I think its a great idea, if it can be implemented in a device as streamlined as the ipod. Give customers the option because there is a lot of great programing on satelite and podcasts really cant match live radio right now. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    As I know nobody here in Europe who uses this satellite radio stuff, I can only believe that this is some US-only tech that will go nowhere in the end. What's wrong with FM btw??
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Uh....no. Really, really bad idea.

Here's why ? satellite radio (and TV) are clumsy, interim technologies. Why would Steve Jobs ever get Apple involved in something like that?

Wi-Max is coming ? and it (or something like it) is the future of what we now call broadcasting ? as audio and video will be deleivered everywhere, cars, portables and home, wirelessly, but with nearly infinite choice options.

Like cellphones/broadband, users will have to pay for the bandwidth and likely some of the content.

And frankly, as a subscriber, let me say that Sirius is a badly run company, so Apple would probably not be that interested.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I will bet a large sum of money that Apple will never, ever do any sort of partnership/merger with Sirius or any other satellite radio, planetary radio, or radio-ga-ga company. It's simply completely off the path Apple's taking with digital entertainment.

So stop hoping for it. If you think Sirius or another vendor could create some sort of add-on for the iPod, imagine away. But Apple will NOT do it, regardless of how good an idea YOU think it would be.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

As I know nobody here in Europe who uses this satellite radio stuff,

Most subscriber satellite-based entertainment has cross-border restrictions.

Quote:

I can only believe that this is some US-only tech that will go nowhere in the end.

XM and Sirius have been around awhile. Virtually all US-sold General Motors cars and light trucks have XM preinstalled. The technology is helping to kill free broadcast radio.

Quote:

What's wrong with FM btw??

Several things. Most FM [and AM] radio stations in the US are owned by just three corporations. As a result, free over-the-air stations are heavily formatted with a bland sameness. The other thing is that XM alone has something like 170 different channels. There is music is virtually every genre. Between XM and Sirius, you can get every Major League Baseball game, every NFL football game, every NASCAR auto race, most NCAA football and basketball games, and so much more. OTA radio simply cannot compete with the depth and breadth of programming available on the satellites.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

What's wrong with FM btw??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Several things. Most FM [and AM] radio stations in the US are owned by just three corporations. As a result, free over-the-air stations are heavily formatted with a bland sameness. The other thing is that XM alone has something like 170 different channels. There is music is virtually every genre. Between XM and Sirius, you can get every Major League Baseball game, every NFL football game, every NASCAR auto race, most NCAA football and basketball games, and so much more. OTA radio simply cannot compete with the depth and breadth of programming available on the satellites.

Or the coverage. Just to drive to my county seat I have to change radio stations during the drive because no one station has coverage over the complete distance. At that I have no coverage at all for a third of the drive. With XM I can listen to one station for the complete drive.

With the iPod and Podcasting I find that I am choosing between the iPod and XM and XM normally losses. The iPod and XM (and Sirius) are competitors not partners. I don't see any gain for either company to join with the other. Besides satellite reception sucks if you get anywhere close to trees or multistory buildings.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I will bet a large sum of money that Apple will never, ever do any sort of partnership/merger with Sirius or any other satellite radio, planetary radio, or radio-ga-ga company. It's simply completely off the path Apple's taking with digital entertainment.

If you are going to say something like that then give the specifics please. While you may have actual data that supports your decision, it completely missed us.

Any path can be modified , added to, changed, stopped, reoriented, ridiculed, ignored... but it certainly isn't a static in the physical universe.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Specifics? What sort of "specifics" could I possibly have to back up a prediction about Apple's long-term digital media strategy? How could I specifically *prove* that they *won't* be doing something? It's not a matter of "proof", though if you you really want something like it, it is and will be right in the pudding: Apple has so far showed zero interest in satellite radio or any other radio. They don't offer nor will they ever offer any sort of radio receiver for iPod or any Mac. Forget it, it's 20th century technology.

If you think that out of everything Apple may embark upon in the next few years - handheld computers (in addition to iPhone), multi-touch technology, an iPod-like presence in the living room - they are going to make time for RADIO, you're reading the wrong Mac rumor sites. You might as well be hoping for an Apple fax machine.

As I said, I will bet a large sum of money on no partnership between Apple and any satellite radio provider. Or, let's revisit this thread in, say, five years. See how much Apple changes their path in your direction then.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Jobs has already rejected Sirus's idea for a satellite enabled iPod.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

... You might as well be hoping for an Apple fax machine.

What! No Apple fax machine? I'm switching to Windows!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

As I said, I will bet a large sum of money on no partnership between Apple and any satellite radio provider. Or, let's revisit this thread in, say, five years. See how much Apple changes their path in your direction then.

I agree with you, however, I sure as hell would not put money on that. Apple will do what it needs to do in gain customers. Personally, I like the idea of having satellite radio on my iPod, if it had good reception, this seems to be the only roadblock at the moment.