Heat of current Macbook Pros

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm gonna be buying a computer soon and just wondering, for all you current macbook pro owners, how are they running temperature wise now? Would you feel comfortable with them on your lap? Just wondering if the heat issues have passed and how cool they run now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kzelk4 View Post

I'm gonna be buying a computer soon and just wondering, for all you current macbook pro owners, how are they running temperature wise now? Would you feel comfortable with them on your lap? Just wondering if the heat issues have passed and how cool they run now.

They're okay for 10 minutes on the lap, if a bit sweaty. They're no so hot a the edges, though, so if you sit with your legs open it can work out ok, if a bit dangerous. Really, they run hot, but i think all laptops do now. That's why the names have official been changed to "notebook computer". So no americans sue them!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I own a last-gen Powerbook, which I can't have on my lap without a book or magazine between it and my legs. Which seems to only make the problem worse, especially when doing CPU intense things like playing WoW. The new MacBook Pro's I've used don't seem to run any cooler, either.

Someone should really make a lap thing... something that keeps the aluminum case cooler, without needing another cord and is comfy to have on your lap for a long time.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post

I own a last-gen Powerbook, which I can't have on my lap without a book or magazine between it and my legs. Which seems to only make the problem worse, especially when doing CPU intense things like playing WoW. The new MacBook Pro's I've used don't seem to run any cooler, either.

Someone should really make a lap thing... something that keeps the aluminum case cooler, without needing another cord and is comfy to have on your lap for a long time.

sorry if this is in the wrong thread, just noticed that now...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    wow i thought they got the MBP heat semi under control? the MB (non pro) is fine on my lap for hours at a time... i bet the current MBP model isnt bad if your doing light stuff, have the fans goin a bit, and screen's brightness down about halfway.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

wow i thought they got the MBP heat semi under control? the MB (non pro) is fine on my lap for hours at a time... i bet the current MBP model isnt bad if your doing light stuff, have the fans goin a bit, and screen's brightness down about halfway.

My MBP is much cooler than my 1.25GHZ PB was. I an even rest it on a pillow without it going berserk with the fans.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    My MBP C2D runs cool.... period.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

My MBP C2D runs cool.... period.

can you use it on your lap, ive never ownd a laptop so i dont really know where i would use it
  • Reply 8 of 11
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I have a 2.33 15" mbp c2d, It runs great. Even when I'm maxing out the cpus for hours in my lap (playing heroes of might and magic v), i can barely feel it. My 1.25ghz 15" alum g4 was pretty bad. This one runs cooler and cools down much quicker than the g4 did. I'm very happy with it. This computer is extremely fast. It's actually faster than an AMD pc I built (though i'm building a e6700 conroe machine tomorrow). Overall it's a fantastic machine!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I have a 2.33GHz 15" MBP C2D. Heat is fine both on AC and when running on battery - doesn't get hot at all unless I really push it. It sometimes gets a bit warm if it's in use and is charging it's battery at the same time.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I have a 2.33 15" mbp c2d, It runs great. Even when I'm maxing out the cpus for hours in my lap (playing heroes of might and magic v), i can barely feel it. My 1.25ghz 15" alum g4 was pretty bad. This one runs cooler and cools down much quicker than the g4 did. I'm very happy with it. This computer is extremely fast. It's actually faster than an AMD pc I built (though i'm building a e6700 conroe machine tomorrow). Overall it's a fantastic machine!

Totally agreed. We have the same point of comparison. I had to buy a cool pad for my PB 1.25. I can rest the MBP on my bare legs.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Hah, I bought a coolpad for mine too (the antec coolpad), it lasted a month before the fans started to go out!

I'm becoming quite the game whore on my mbp... and it's still a cool computer.