Apple filing shows modular "media center" with unified interface

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the advent new forms of digital media and the various media devices that have cropped up alongside, Apple several years ago began to explore a concept it calls a "multi-media center" that would effectively combine and control many of those emerging media components from a central interface.

According an October 2005 filing published for the first time on Thursday, media components supported by the exemplary system would include any computer readable medium that contains digital data and/or an application that can access digital data, such as a DVD player or iPod.

The "multi-media center" itself could be designed in the form of a complex computer program, such as Apple's Front Row software, that would reside on one or more personal computers. The central-user-interface would then be capable of graphically representing each media-component as a selectable item in a main menu, with user input coming by way of a keyboard, mouse, wireless remote, or similarly capable device like the iPhone.

The simplistic plug-and-play aspect of the media center would hinge heavily on a modular architecture that includes at least one software-based media-module for each of the media-components configured for the system. "A media-module can include or obtain data pertaining to a particular media-component (e.g., user interface menus, lists of digital data in the media-component)," Apple engineer Thomas Madden wrote in the filing. "In addition, a media-module can also identify media-player(s) and access information related to their media (e.g., music or movie lists)."

However, the filing notes that media-modules wold not directly control output. Instead, a module-controller communicates with various media-modules and effectively controls output generated in response to user input. "The module-controller can forward the input to various media-modules for processing and receive output from them," Madden explained. "Subsequently, the module-controller can use the output generated by the media-modules to perform the appropriate response (e.g., manipulate display of menus or presentation of media)."

A flow diagram of the proposed media center

In other words, the media-modules do not directly control the output of the multi-media center even though they may process the input and effectively generate the appropriate response. "Furthermore, media-modules can be isolated from each other," the filing states. "As a result, the media-modules cannot communicate with each other, but can be added or removed dynamically as they do not affect each other or a main (base) program that effectively runs the multi-media center."

In one embodiment of Madden's invention, each media-module would include or could obtain information needed to construct menus for its associated media-component. "It should be noted that media-modules can construct their menus (or submenus) by using an User Interface Library (or library)," he wrote. "More particularly, media-modules can obtain a template or other tools (e.g., metric utilities, windows, views, widgets, sounds) from the User Interface Library (or library). As such, each media-module may select a user interface template (e.g., menus, window) from the User Interface Library (or library) and subsequently fill (or populate it) with the appropriate information (e.g., menu items)."

Additionally, media-modules would be able to identify media-players that can be used to present their media, and access information related to their media, such as a music or movie list. The module-controller would initiate the media-player associated with a media-component and subsequently forward any input associated with presentation of media directly to the media-player for processing. "As a result, the familiar look and feel of media-players can be preserved," Madden said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Well, it looks good, and I think I like it. Glad they are patenting what it seems they are doing.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, the filing notes that media-modules wold not directly control output. Instead, a module-controller communicates with various media-modules and effectively controls output generated in response to user input.

Gees, could somebody that speaks engineering gibberish translate this to English?

Is this just Apple TV?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    This is what Apple TV should be. A multimedia controller. Just plug in the media devices you want to use (DVD, BDDVD, HD_DVD, DVR, VCR, etc). The device provides it's interface menu structure, via a network, to the controller, the controller figures out how to display it nicely and feeds the user input back to the device. Could be really great for both consumers and vendors. The vendors can stop worrying about making a pleasing interface, because it is take care of by the controller, the users don't have to learn some funky new interface for each device they own.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jack_cox View Post

This is what Apple TV should be. A multimedia controller. Just plug in the media devices you want to use (DVD, BDDVD, HD_DVD, DVR, VCR, etc). The device provides it's interface menu structure, via a network, to the controller, the controller figures out how to display it nicely and feeds the user input back to the device. Could be really great for both consumers and vendors. The vendors can stop worrying about making a pleasing interface, because it is take care of by the controller, the users don't have to learn some funky new interface for each device they own.

Kind of like the MIDI control center maybe?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I remember talking about this idea last year on this forum when the AppleTV was first announced.

Imagine: A central unit that connects to your TV and audio system (which would hopefully be one of the modules). Then, you simply add other modules for DVD, Blu-Ray, DVR, etc. (and one would dream they work wirelessly) so all you have to do is give it power and pair it to have control of it through the UI and remote of the central unit.

I've dreamed of something like this for a long time. My idea is that the central unit should only have to be plugged in and the modules stack on top of it and get power through contacts on the surfaces (with ample cooling through side vents). This is the A/V center of the future. Even the TV could be wireless and way in the future wireless speakers won't suck. Anyway, I could write another article on my ideas for this.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member

Wow. This Media Center architecture is built like the hardware equivalent of OS X. Everything is modular (easy upgrades) and extensible from what I can surmise here.

It almost seems un Apple'like in the fact that architecturally it is complex but you know if Apple decided to bring something like this to consumers it would easier than anything to setup.

I love the idea of a Module Controller as the brains behind everything. How extensive of a platform would Apple design in? Who knows but I can tell you that they would certainly parlay their success with ?tv and the iPod to great success.

Could this be real or am I just dreaming?

I wonder if Apple would support some of the A/V and Home Control consortiums currently vying for consumer and vendor attention.

Zigbee Wireless Alliance

Z-Wave another Wireless tech with control savvy

Z-Wave has a solid following with Intel, Leviton, Univeral Electronics and others.

Apple can really leverage today's burgeoning tech with some "special sauce" of their own to really create a compelling feature. Interestingly enough Spotlight techology may play a bigger part in such a Media Center than many recognize right now.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Kind of sounds like how "BackRow" the name of the UI that runs AppleTV is built. Each section of the AppleTV UI is a separate module that is loaded in and controls what media is shown; but they all share a common output.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

Kind of sounds like how "BackRow" the name of the UI that runs AppleTV is built. Each section of the AppleTV UI is a separate module that is loaded in and controls what media is shown; but they all share a common output.

There was an application called TitleTrack Jukebox which (with a little USB box)

allowed you to control multiple Sony 400 CD changers from your Mac. It had

a library, album art, random play and playlists (if I remember correctly) and

was a cool way to access a large cd collection at the time.

I had my CD players connected to my audio amp using

optical digital connection so the sound quality was superior. The developer

sold his interest in the application to another company when iTunes came

along, figuring his app's days were numbered.

I would love to see Apple develop something similar, using the patent referred to

in this thread. I would be happy to use the original CD's in multi-CD players, in

conjunction with my iTunes library and airport extreme basestation to make

a music server for my house.

I could imagine controlling a multi-DVD player the same way.

Both of these uses would make people less likely to store music and movies on

their computers and less likely to want an AppleTV, so it probably won't happen.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

Yup....this patent sounds like the "Patentese" lingua franca of our lovely USPTO.

This device sounds like the Apple TV. Mac media are so rabid for new information they are concocting features and products right from thin air.

I fell for it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If this is AppleTV, how sad is it that they chose USB instead of FireWire for the interface standard? This would be exactly the type of application FireWire was built for with it's higher effective bandwidth, bandwidth reservation for guaranteed streaming, diasy-chaining (you'd need a bunch of hubs to support multiple USB devices), etc. If AppleTV, with it's USB port, is intended to eventually by the center of this type of modular media center, it would as much signal the beginning of the end for FireWire.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

If this is AppleTV, how sad is it that they chose USB instead of FireWire for the interface standard? This would be exactly the type of application FireWire was built for with it's higher effective bandwidth, bandwidth reservation for guaranteed streaming, diasy-chaining (you'd need a bunch of hubs to support multiple USB devices), etc. If AppleTV, with it's USB port, is intended to eventually by the center of this type of modular media center, it would as much signal the beginning of the end for FireWire.

...except that Apple TV is IP based, not USB - just happens to have a port for "service" use and that firewire and USB are both a disaster when incorporating building / home wiring. Successful automation products use existing wiring infrastructure - some use wireless to some extent, but the more successful products do not depend on wireless for the backbone infrastructure. CAT-5, RG-6, powerline, etc... which basically means Ethernet or good old fashioned serial communications - RS232, RS422, or RS485.

This concept is somewhat generic, but seems like a solid idea... implementation would be key, before judging any product based on the concept. When it comes to modular systems, especially as they deal with consumer electronics and typical home systems, complexity grows very quickly at a logarithmic scale - so Apple would quickly move out of its area of traditional expertise. This is of course the obvious area of growth for Apple and a logical next step. Apple TV has more positive aspects than negative and seems to be a good first step. I hope they continue this initiative and blossom into a competent home automation / media controller company too.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

...except that Apple TV is IP based, not USB

Good point, although I was thinking modular as in being able to add a DVD module, TV Tuner/PVR, later swapping out the DVD for Blu-Ray, adding a surround amp (notice you can't control the volume via AppleTV!), etc. AppleTV would replace, and do a far better job than, today's home theater receivers for coordinating the inputs and outputs between devices. For most of these modules I would expect them to be "local" (ie, sitting right next to the AppleTV). In that case FireWire would be a better option because you wouldn't need to add a hub or router and make sure you have enough ports for future expansion. I guess you could accomplish this with wireless, but that would seem excessive, to stream HD off a Blu-Ray disc wirelessly if it was sitting right next to the AppleTV (or whatever the future central device would be). Why would I want all that traffic flowing over my home network just to move data between two components sitting on top of each other?

I long for the days when I don't have to mess with a rat's nest of wires behind my AV equipment connecting everything together. Give me components that have power cords and a single wire interconnecting them and I'd be very happy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

USB - just happens to have a port for "service"

Just because Apple currently says it's just for service means nothing as to it's future potential uses.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Good point, although I was thinking modular as in being able to add a DVD module, TV Tuner/PVR, later swapping out the DVD for Blu-Ray, adding a surround amp (notice you can't control the volume via AppleTV!), etc. AppleTV would replace, and do a far better job than, today's home theater receivers for coordinating the inputs and outputs between devices. For most of these modules I would expect them to be "local" (ie, sitting right next to the AppleTV). In that case FireWire would be a better option because you wouldn't need to add a hub or router and make sure you have enough ports for future expansion. I guess you could accomplish this with wireless, but that would seem excessive, to stream HD off a Blu-Ray disc wirelessly if it was sitting right next to the AppleTV (or whatever the future central device would be). Why would I want all that traffic flowing over my home network just to move data between two components sitting on top of each other?

As I recall that was the hope for FireWire a few years ago, but it never materialized. It was adopted on some high end TV's and the FCC requires the cable companies to offer it on their set top boxes if requested by the consumer. The problem is that it never made it into the main stream media devices. This may be part of the reason for Apple TV, offering a "better" optioin to the consumer that has failed to materialize. That is fitting with the development of the iPod and the iPhone. They worked with Motorolla on an iPod compatible phone but it was a bust due to lack of memory and poor integration on Motorolla's part. Before that the MP3 players were a novelty with a lot of promis until Apple released the iPod, whose main reason for success is as much iTMS and iTunes as much as the device itself.

The future of Apple TV development is somewhat unknown right now. We know that there is probably going to be HD content in the near to mid term future available from iTMS. Other than that I think that there is a lot up in the air and it's success will determine what comes next. I think that it is very possible that it is the first "stage" of the module control center. The problem is that it will need to communicate two ways with anything that it hooks up to to be an effective product, and most consumer devices are not set up to work that way.

That could change, just as it has for the iPod with car sterio integration options becoming available from most car companies today. There has also been other devices that work with the iPod that have sprung up around the iPod platform. I could see a similar set of devices spring up around Apple TV as a platfform, but I'm not sure that FireWire would be needed for this integration unless Apple wanted to have all the video signals routed through the Apple TV which might not be the most efficient way to handle this since most of these (video) devices would have their own video decoding systems and would be sending uncompressed video signals as output. I would think that it would be more effecient to just control such devices. Of course in an ideal world you would have a central system that acts as a HDMI switch and software control for all of these devices but that would almost demand that everything is built by Apple to ensure plug and play.