Apple's iPod may gain Wi-Fi by holidays

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple plans to launch new iPods featuring Wi-Fi during the second half of 2007, according to a report at DigiTimes, the same publication which first reported that Apple would be forced to push out Leopard's release until October.

In a brief posting, the Taiwanese rumor publicized cited "portable music player component makers" who say that Universal Scientific Industrial (USI) has been contracted by the Cupertino-based iPod maker to produce the Wi-Fi modules and that Foxconn will act as the OEM system assembler.

USI will reportedly begin the first shipments of its Wi-Fi modules to Apple later this month, while Foxconn isn't expected to deliver the completed players until the third quarter, which runs July - September.

DigiTimes's report is somewhat in line with expectations published by AppleInsider over the course of the past few months. Sources initially reported that three distinct iPod models lie on Apple's roadmap for 2007, later adding that one of those players --- a next-gen video iPod -- was tracking for a third quarter release.

Thus far, Microsoft's Zune has led the way to increasing development of Wi-Fi portable music players, with Creative and SanDisk most recently showcasing such players at the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show. According to DigiTimes, Samsung and Sony are also planning to offer similar products in the near future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    After yesterday, now DigiTimes has cred

OMG - cats sleeping with dogs! This must be a sign of the endtimes
  • Reply 2 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

If you make enough predictions, odds are, even if you suck, you'll eventually be half-right on something.

Soon, iPodders will know the magic of squirting. I guess, especially for the ones that don't get out much.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    In another shock news story, AI has learned that new iPods are due later this year!

• Reply 4 of 45
    What's the chances that Apple/Jobs said October so that Digitimes WOULD have more cred to spread false rumors?

Not that they would delay 10.5 JUST for that reason, but if the engineers said September or October... say October, but deliver in September.

Ahhh, long week I guess. My RDF sheild is waning.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

As I began reading the story I couldn't avoid thinking just that.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

As I began reading the story I couldn't avoid thinking just that.

In another shock news story, AI has learned that Digitimes has aquired some cred!

• Reply 7 of 45
    I'm guessing wifi on new ipods seems reasonable if the new ipod will be an iphone sans the phone part. having an ipod with internet browser and widgets will make it the next newton. sorta.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

I'm guessing wifi on new ipods seems reasonable if the new ipod will be an iphone sans the phone part. having an ipod with internet browser and widgets will make it the next newton. sorta.

I don't know if they'd release that if they thought it might cannibalize iPhone sales; still, that would be unbelievably awesome. If it had all the functionality of the iPhone except for phone/voice mail/SMS/3G data, I just might buy one instead of an iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Usually they would save these things for an iphone relaunch (like what they did with the shuffle) to pick up the consumers that waited long enough for the iphone to reinvent itself. How about blue iphones for $79!
  • Reply 10 of 45
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,882member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

I don't know if they'd release that if they thought it might cannibalize iPhone sales; still, that would be unbelievably awesome. If it had all the functionality of the iPhone except for phone/voice mail/SMS/3G data, I just might buy one instead of an iPhone.

For the millions of iPhones they expect to sell, there are several more millions who will not buy an iPhone but will buy this 'iPhone-without-a-Phone' iPod.

As to your fears of cannibalization: Cannibalize your own product or your competitors will gladly do it for you.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

For the millions of iPhones they expect to sell, there are several more millions who will not buy an iPhone but will buy this 'iPhone-without-a-Phone' iPod.

As to your fears of cannibalization: Cannibalize your own product or your competitors will gladly do it for you.

tundraboy is right.

Apple wants the iPhone to get off to a strong start so they won't release competing iPods till October. After back-to-school is over Apple will announce...

"we've sold 5 million iPhones in the first 4 months of availability"

Then they will announce the new iPods which will be like the iPhones minus the phone features.

At that point they will have a solid line-up heading into the holiday buying season.

It doesn't matter at that point what people buy as long as it has an Apple logo on it.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Amen, brother.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

tundraboy is right.

Apple wants the iPhone to get off to a strong start so they won't release competing iPods till October.

At that point they will have a solid line-up heading into the holiday buying season.

That's a reasonable prediction. Sept-Oct is about the time period that they have done their iPod updates in the last three years.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    How will wifi help anything? Wow now we can transfer songs from my computer to my ipod even slower than before and waste more battery!

Sounds pointless to me.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

How will wifi help anything? Wow now we can transfer songs from my computer to my ipod even slower than before and waste more battery!

Sounds pointless to me.

Syncing by WiFi is a poor use but there are other potential uses. One is song sharing, another is allowing you to use the Internet away from home and without having to carry a notebook.

I'm not sold on those ideas though. I want one with Bluetooth without requiring a potentially fragile dongle so I can use wireless headphones. I'm tired of things snagging my headphone cord, or having to run the cord under my shirt.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Kind of funny how many people said the Zune's Wifi was a useless feature, and now all of a sudden it's great... In this case, it looks like Apple will be the last to the party...
  • Reply 17 of 45
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member
    The only still up in the air is the capacity of the full size iPod. I won't believe Apple would switch to high-cost SSD and give up huge profit margins for the sake of an update, and cannibalization of the iPhone.

Somehow this WiFi feature may tie in perfectly with the rumored subscription-based offering on iTunes music, with Steve's RDF downplaying stagnant capacity tiers.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Kind of funny how many people said the Zune's Wifi was a useless feature, and now all of a sudden it's great... In this case, it looks like Apple will be the last to the party...

The difference is that MS has sold 2* Zune players in five months so you will never meet the other person who you can share music with. This is not the case with iPods.

*fine, more than 2, but less than 10!
  • Reply 19 of 45
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Soon, iPodders will know the magic of squirting. I guess, especially for the ones that don't get out much.

Imagine Steve Jobs standing on stage, turtle neck and jeans: "Squirting comes to the iPod!"
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Let's keep the screen of the Video iPod we have now, add a bit of touchscreen capability, and take away the bottom 50% that contains empty space/scrollwheel. There. Now We'd have a small square with no buttons (Except for the hold switch). I would be happy with an iPod like that. You'd have a flashy touch-interface without cannabalizing iPhone sales