Question/Opinion regarding Future iPods

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is there any indication, at all, that Apple might one day incorporate an FM radio into its iPod design?

If not, do you also think it would be nice?

I don't have an iPod, but I do have two different MP3 players. One of them is a Phillips RUSH player, and I forget what the other one is. I like them both, and they both have radio capability. I'm not willing to give that up, but I'd love to have an iPod, so...

Any rumors on that? Opinions? I mean, I don't pretend to say that they SHOULD add a radio, because honestly the iPod is doing really REALLY well without one, but I still think it'd be nice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post

Is there any indication, at all, that Apple might one day incorporate an FM radio into its iPod design?

I don't have an iPod, but I do have two different MP3 players. One of them is a Phillips RUSH player, and I forget what the other one is. I like them both, and they both have radio capability. I'm not willing to give that up, but I'd love to have an iPod, so...

Any rumors on that? Opinions? I mean, I don't pretend to say that they SHOULD add a radio, because honestly the iPod is doing really REALLY well without one, but I still think it'd be nice.

Thanks.

You probably wont see a radio built into an iPod, but there are numerous FM tuners made especially for the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Opinions?

I'd love to have an FM radio option, but that would just turn the iPod into an overpriced radio. Not really their core market. You can pick up a portable FM stereo for $10 or less.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

You probably wont see a radio built into an iPod, but there are numerous FM tuners made especially for the iPod.

I think you're right; we probably won't see it. As for the available FM tuners... well, it's a good idea, but the ones I've seen aren't really feasible. I generally use my MP3 player when I'm either exercising or working, both of which require me to move around a lot, and having another piece of equipment to keep up with isn't fun.

Quote:

I'd love to have an FM radio option, but that would just turn the iPod into an overpriced radio. Not really their core market. You can pick up a portable FM stereo for $10 or less.

This is true, but I do prefer having both the radio option and the MP3 option. I'll probably just stick with my off-brand products that offer both in a small package deal.

Thanks to both of you, I always appreciate getting responses.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Check this out: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA070G%2FC

It's cool looking (I've seen it before), but it's plain and simple overpriced.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Since we are on the subject. I looking for an AM/FM transmitter. Does anyone makes one?

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 9
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I've only found the one radio as an accessory to the iPods. Wish there were more.

But since there is only one option for a radio accessory and there are..what?... over 4000 current accessories, I would have to say the demand for a radio "for/part of" the iPods would seem small.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Actually you probably WILL see a radio soon.

Apple typically releases one or two of the most 'demanded' feature requests from customers in almost every update for iTunes/iPods. Go back and listen to the keynotes, if you don't believe me. Count the times.

I was reading several surveys that mentioned the FM tunder was the most desired feature in an iPod. They were a mixture of analyst and random news ones, and the fact that there were several agreeing, and that I personally want one, seems to give credence.

If Apple comes out with an FM tuner, I would suspect it would be in the iPod only, not the nano or shuffle (size reasons). And possibly a revision from now, but I suspect september will bring some big updates!

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Thanks.

Why just FM ? If Apple is going to add a radio, they should add FM and AM.

(Or maybe HD radio ??)