When to buy MacBook? (PANTHER DELAYED)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
And I thought I was smart, awaiting Leopard to purchase a MacBook.

Now that Leopard's been delayed, I wonder: Should I break down and purchase a new MacBook now, or are new MacBooks just around the corner? How about free upgrade certificates?

I can't wait until Leopard's release for a laptop, so please give me your advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Well, if you really want Panther now, I'm sure that you can get an old copy on ebay (though I can't see why you would want to do that).

Okay, okay... you mean Leopard. Easy mistake to make. As everyone on these forums will tell you, if you need a computer now, then buy now; but if you can wait for six months, then wait.

I don't see why people get so worked up over waiting for the new OS. If I were planning on buying a computer this spring and Apple pushed back the release date for Leopard, I'd still be buying in the spring. If Leopard looks so good that you must have it in October, just throw down the $129 then and upgrade.

On the other hand, Apple seems to focus their notebook attentions on the back-to-school crowd, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a refresh of the Macbook by September. If you don't need a notebook now, then, perhaps, the four to six months will be worth the wait.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

On the other hand, Apple seems to focus their notebook attentions on the back-to-school crowd, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a refresh of the Macbook by September. If you don't need a notebook now, then, perhaps, the four to six months will be worth the wait.

Excellent point, I'd forgotten about the back-to-school crowd.

I guess I was hoping that Leopard would bring new laptops too. Hasn't Apple done this before? If so, I was hoping there will still be new laptops VERY soon. Dream on, right?

I agree, there's no point in waiting for the release of a new operating system, since operating systems are not real expensive. But I'd be disappointed to purchase a Mac Book just to see a new one released next week.

Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRAYOLA View Post

And I thought I was smart, awaiting Leopard to purchase a MacBook.

Now that Leopard's been delayed, I wonder: Should I break down and purchase a new MacBook now, or are new MacBooks just around the corner? How about free upgrade certificates?

I can't wait until Leopard's release for a laptop, so please give me your advice.

Thanks!

If you have thought about it long enough, and you would like to get one, just go ahead, I would recommend. You can wait forever for the latest this-that-etc. October is a pretty long way ahead.