Leopard Delayed...will the Iphone too??

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
so leapord is delayed till october 2007 all because "iphone is so sophisticated"....now that the truth has come out does this mean the iphone is not being released in June as expected either? cause if this is true this is a big *&$# up on apples part

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    The press release was explicitly clear that the iPhone will be released on time, because the OS X staff were used to ensure the on-time release.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ok great...

i wonder why the leopard is really being delayed, i dont get what the iphone has to do with the computer software for the rest of their products =/
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ok great...

i wonder why the leopard is really being delayed, i dont get what the iphone has to do with the computer software for the rest of their products =/

the iPhone's OS is OSX... so.. they pulled people from the Leopard team to work on it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ahh ya i just read the press release

dang sucks for leopard

i was hoping to get a new MBP and iphone on the same day :[
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ahh ya i just read the press release

dang sucks for leopard

i was hoping to get a new MBP and iphone on the same day :[

This move does not prevent you from getting a MBP and an iPhone the same day. I assume if you are able to lay down for a MBP and iPhone at the same time, you will have no problem with the upgrade to Leopard.

Also rumors point to new MBPs this WWDC anyway...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Yeah, and apple will say that they pulled people from the iPhone to work on leopard.\
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

Yeah, and apple will say that they pulled people from the iPhone to work on leopard.\

JFC, Did you not read the statement?

Apple Statement

iPhone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned. We can?t wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price ? we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October. We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we're sure we've made the right ones. [Apr 12, 2007]
  • Reply 8 of 11
    no... in my opinion they r delaying the release of 10.5 so it wont eat up iphone sales...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanisalifestyle View Post

no... in my opinion they are delaying the release of 10.5 so it wont eat up iphone sales...

Not at all. Leopard is an entirely different product, it's running on the iPhone, but it wouldn't stop people from upgrading.

Your opinion is worthless however, Apple set it out like it is, they pulled programmers from Leopard over a software issue so that the iPhone at least would ship on time, instead of shipping both late.

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

The press release was explicitly clear that the iPhone will be released on time, because the OS X staff were used to ensure the on-time release.

Yeah, and two weeks before they announced that they were delaying Leopard, they said it was on time. It seems obvious that the iPhone is currently behind schedule, otherwise they wouldn't have to pull a bunch of engineers off of Leopard to speed it up. Now the question is whether all those Leopard engineers will succeed in getting iPhone back on schedule. While it is possible that this will happen, I tend not to believe in The Mythical Man-Month
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, it depends on what the issue was - if it was that OS X/iPhone was running behind, then having more OS X folks (who have already been trained, know the system, etc) help out makes sense. If it was, say, the multi-touch algorithms that weren't behaving, then tossing OS X people at it would be a bad idea.

TMMM was written (mostly) to instruct managers that engineers are not cogs - you can't replace one with another, and expect things to go smoothly. Nor does the solving capability easily scale (ie, you can't throw more people at a problem). What it did do was illustrate that the critical resource is communication capacity - throwing more people at a problem requires training those people, and coordinating everyone in a larger team. At some point, the communication overhead swamps the actual work being ostensibly done, and you fall further behind.

Having a small number of pre-trained folks come on board *can* help in specific cases, however. It isn't always the case that 'more people = later', but the exceptions are very rare. Given the statement from Apple, though, it is possible this is one of them. Apple likes small focussed teams, and if the core OS X team (pre-trained) can help get the iPhone out the door, then great... on the surface, at least, they meet the criteria for a successful additional manpower deployment.