the colors and look of os x

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
to me it has a dry,plain,1980's operating system type of look to it. do you see this changing in leopard? why is that apple does not allow you to change the colors and themes in os x?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Because Apple are a bunch of control freaks. If you want you can use shapeshifter or things like that. Earlier versions of OS X were more in your face, like vista, but since then it has been refined and toned down, I like it. Leopard will probably be more glossy and dark, but no one here knows. And in some ways aqua is less dry than areo--like the scroll bars and buttons.

If you want a guess of what leopard will be like look at the OS X page at Apple.com when the X comes in.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:

If you want a guess of what leopard will be like look at the OS X page at Apple.com when the X comes in.

The new look will probably not be that glossy. I feel like it will be closer to the crumpled metal with shiny elements that is visible in the FCS 2 page, especially as in the promo reel. I still think this is unfinished, but it's definitely closer than the 8-month-old preview.

See the website.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    "why is that apple does not allow you to change the colors and themes in os x?"

Because of Hot Dog Stand.

Most people don't know how to put together a good-looking UI. Guess why? Because most people aren't good UI designers. I'm sorry to offend the deviantart.com frequenters here, but I have yet to see a ShapeShifter theme that's not either a) hideous, b) unusable or c) both.

I even find the choice between Blue and Graphite too much. It's not necessary. You'll disagree, of course, but since this is a subjective matter, I thought I'd point out that some of us like not having to make a choice when Apple's designers make the right ones in 90% of cases.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I do agree about most people can't put together a good looking UI, it's true. 99% of those themes people make for Windows are complete crap. I just had a look at some of those OS X themes and they are ALL crap. Apple spends a butt load of time developing a UI that is simple, elegent, and easy to use, and I don't think you should be able to change the whole look of it. I do think however that they should have a color slider to change the color of the Logo in the top left corner and little things like that. I don't care that I can't change the whole look of the OS, I don't want to, I just want to change the color of a few things without using programs. Like if I could change the color of the Logo at the top, the scroll bar, (in the finder)the folder arrow, and little stuff like that, all the same color with one or a set of sliders, it would be amazing. Three sliders: Hue, Saturation, Brightness is all I'm asking. It's not gonna happen, and I'm not using any applications to do it, so, I'll just deal with it lol

...but it would be a good idea!