iTunes hosts first album sale, new iPod game spotted

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
On the heels of an announcement by the recording industry that sales of digital albums doubled last year, Apple has kicked off its first album sale on iTunes. Meanwhile, the iPod maker has tipped its hand regarding a new game for its iconic digital media players.

iTunes albums for $7.99

Just as the recording industry reported that a drop in sales of compact discs accelerated to nearly 13 percent in 2006, Apple has reportedly made a move to leverage the one bright spot in that report -- a doubling in sales of digital albumns.

The Apple 2.0 blog notes that on Wednesday, Apple's iTunes Store launched its first known album sale (though it is actually the second), offering nearly 100 albums for just $7.99 each. (An image link is accessible off the iTunes Store main page).

You won't find any current chart-toppers in the mix, but there are a number of albums listed from well known artists such as U2, Nirvana, Mary J. Blige, Smashing Pumpkins, Nas, Oasis, Prince, The Police, Beastie Boys, R.E.M., Guns N' Roses, and Jane's Addiction.

Slight older albums are available from the likes of Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, Jonny Cash, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel and Pink Floyd (Dark Side).

iQuiz for iPod: Coming Soon

Meanwhile, Apple appears ripe to deliver at least one new game to the iPod in the short term, according to Electronista. The gadget site cites visitors to France's iTunes Store, who saw a game titled iQuiz briefly appear but then mysteriously disappear from their local iTunes Store.

The internally developed Apple game will reportedly expand on the basic Music Quiz program included with the fifth-generation iPod and the iPod nano. Its interface will be enhanced and the game itself will be the first to let players actively share information between each other through custom question lists, according to the report.

While Apple hasn't officially announced iQuiz, a description that briefly appeared stated the game will require iTunes 7.1 or later, quashing the possibility that it could be attached to a software update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:

The Apple 2.0 blog notes that on Wednesday, Apple's iTunes Store launched its first known album sale, offering nearly 100 albums for just $7.99 each.

The word 'each' was on the next line in my browser, and I thought it said 100 albums for $7.99 for a minute!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

The word 'each' was on the next line in my browser, and I thought it said 100 albums for $7.99 for a minute!

Now that'd be a sale!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    No such luck in the UK store... boo hoo
  • Reply 4 of 20
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Actually, this sale was posted tuesday, as I perused it yesterday morning before work. Too bad there wasn't much there I wanted.

And what's the deal with putting Boston up in the list. As an 8 song album, it already would cost $7.92. (Same with Meatloaf, actually).

And, really, any Shania Twain album for $7.99 still is $7.99 too much.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Will any of the soon-to-be-released DRM-free albums ever be on sale?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

Will any of the soon-to-be-released DRM-free albums ever be on sale?

Maybe... Maybe they can get the non-DRM non-newhit albums to all be $7.99 then move the hit albums to $9.99 or non DRM to $9.99
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I’ve translated the French bit as best I could, to look for new hidden features:

“Test your knowledge in leisure with iQuiz, a fast-paced question-answer game for your iPod. Test your knowledge of the songs, artists and albums on your iPod and take up the cinema, music and television challenges. Create your own personalised Trivia Packs to share, and play with those created by other players.

iTunes 7.1 or later required.”

Is this an indication of network play with other iPod users? Perhaps a wireless iPod is on its way. I wonder how this will work.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Until I read the article I couldn't understand the heading. I kept thinking, "the iTunes Store has been selling albums--ergo, album sales--for years now so how can they be having their first album sale?" I know... I'm a dumass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Is this an indication of network play with other iPod users? Perhaps a wireless iPod is on its way. I wonder how this will work.

I'm guessing it's a simple XML file that is to be emailed or downloaded from a webpage. Will it use a seperate app for allowing you to create/edit your own quizs or will this done via iTunes? My guess is that there is a separate app for doing this.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I can remember at least 2 other instances in the past few months when the Canadian store had a good selection of Albums for $7.99. How is this different?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

The Apple 2.0 blog notes that on Wednesday, Apple's iTunes Store launched its first known album sale (though it is actually the second), offering nearly 100 albums for just $7.99 each. (An image link is accessible off the iTunes Store main page).

Okay, to reply to myself... why would the title of this article state "first album sale" when the body of the article clarifies the fact that it's not the first?

iQuiz sounds cool. Add in some iPhone connectivity to this feature and that could be a lot of fun.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

I?ve translated the French bit as best I could, to look for new hidden features:

?Test your knowledge in leisure with iQuiz, a fast-paced question-answer game for your iPod. Test your knowledge of the songs, artists and albums on your iPod and take up the cinema, music and television challenges. Create your own personalised Trivia Packs to share, and play with those created by other players.

iTunes 7.1 or later required.?

Doesn't the ipod already have a music quiz game?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    simxsimx Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I can remember at least 2 other instances in the past few months when the Canadian store had a good selection of Albums for $7.99. How is this different?

Agreed. I also remember at least one sale where the U.S. iTunes store has featured albums at the $7.99 price point. The title of this article is inaccurate.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Doesn't the ipod already have a music quiz game?

Yes, as the article states.

This seems to be an ‘enhanced’ version.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Actually, this sale was posted tuesday, as I perused it yesterday morning before work. Too bad there wasn't much there I wanted.

And what's the deal with putting Boston up in the list. As an 8 song album, it already would cost $7.92. (Same with Meatloaf, actually).

And, really, any Shania Twain album for $7.99 still is $7.99 too much.

I'm wondering if any of these albums are actually "on sale" or if they all happened to be $7.99 and were just listed together to look like a sale.

And you forgot the $5.99 The Time album that only has 6 songs...but I suppose it's nice to know that like every brick and mortar music store, iTunes now has it's very own bargin bin.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Yes, as the article states.

This seems to be an ?enhanced? version.

I'm guessing this game might have downloadable content like episodes or something, sort like the old PC game "You Don't Know Jack." Thus, the ability for friends to create episodes for others to play.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyricardolondon View Post

No such luck in the UK store... boo hoo

Irish store has a rock sale, choice of 26 great albulms - all priced €6.93 each. The Eric Clapton album has 22 songs for that same price. I didn't buy it, I bought Orleans album - think different
  • Reply 17 of 20
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1071684]Until I read the article I couldn't understand the heading. I kept thinking, "the iTunes Store has been selling albums--ergo, album sales--for years now so how can they be having their first album sale?" I know... I'm a dumass.

I agree! I had to read it 3 times to get it....
  • Reply 18 of 20
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    I don't see anyting in the iTunes store about a sale. Not on there iTunes store homepage at any rate.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    All those cheap prices. Most albums in australia cost $16.99 (all prices are in Australian dollars) on itunes put I can go to the store and buy new releases for $17.99. So for an extra dollar I get no DRM and better quality. Apple (or the record labels) really screwed up their pricing schemes.

Some of the longer albums like Stadium Arcadium from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers cost $31.99 but I spotted it in the shops yesterday for $15.99.

I can go and buy old albums from the shops for $9.99 yet any album on itunes will cost be at least $16.99. Digital Downloads in Australia are priced to high. A single cost $1.69
  • Reply 20 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machinesteve View Post

I agree! I had to read it 3 times to get it....

I'm glad I'm not the only idiot around here.