WiMax

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel is dropping plans for 3G in their Centrino/Santa Rosa mobile platform and implementing WiMAX instead. I've been looking at WiMAX technology recently since a WiMAX network is supposed to be rolled out in Chicago around early 2008, so this is potentially good news to me.

I'm planning on getting a MBP when Leopard comes out (willing to wait). Does this news essentially guarantee that WiMAX will be in the next iteration of the MBP's?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    They have actually had plans for WiMax Mobile for a while, bust like they had for 3G.

And remember that WiMax and WiMax Mobile are two differnt animals. MiMax has been in use for quite a while, but requires two stationary points. The mobile version is not het done, but will be out later.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    WiMax is not included in Santa Rosa; it comes later. Intel cannot guarantee anything about Mac designs; Apple will put in WiMax only if they want to.

Today's notebooks with built-in 3G are effectively locked to one service provider, like an expensive cell phone. WiMax may end up working the same way, and we don't know how Apple would handle it. Would they produce a Sprint-only MBP, leaving no support for Clearwire customers? Would they produce several different models for different providers?

My gut feeling is that Apple will not include WiMax at all; they'll leave it to the ExpressCards.