what does it mean when google's search engine warns you off a returned "hit"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I made the mistake of doing a "who is" on a website that had the warning "This site may harm your computer," and then went to the DNS registrant's parent website (because I couldn't imagine why a site returned on such an innocous subject as "turkeys" would be dangerous). When I went to the second site Safari locked down, and I couldn't even command-option-escape to shut it down. I wound up panicking, and taking out my battery.

BTW, the original search was for "genetically modified turkey" and it turned up the nothing. Then I searched for "turkey breeding" and got a hit that looked promising. (Sorry, I don't know which site had the warning--the results seemed a bit different in a recent duplicate search. My suggestion: if you were considering research on turkey breeding, skip it.)

PS A google of the prefix of the site in question--advertence.net-- aslo turned up a warning, but stupid me didn't think to do that search before going there: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ce&btnG=Search (second one down)

--- Posted by a fast flying target who's hoping curiosity didn't kill his Ibook.