Which Browser Is Best

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There are a lot of people out there who admit that OS X doesn't have a good, powerful browser that's not a resource hog -- and that may be the case. But, out of these "so called" horrible browsers that exist, which one is the best? I will be writing about this very subject, in which I will detail my experience with Firefox, Safari, Opera, Camino, Nemo, Sunrise, Flock, Seamonkey, OmniWeb, and a Java-based browser called XBrowser. Some of these I am sure you haven't hear of, such as Nemo and Flock, but I have Googled for OS X Browsers, found a list, and picked from about 25 or so WebKit Browsers.

In this detailed analysis, I will be evaluating its overall performance, how much RAM it takes up on a usual basis (and how much it goes up by depending on how long you have the program opened). I will detail how fast the web browsing experience is with each one -- hopefully talking about each exclusive feature, and telling you just how good or even how useless the features are.

I wont be doing any benchmarking, however, because I don't know how. However, I will detail if one browser seems to be faster, and if another is better and so on.

The last thing I will talk about will be how well the browser fits into the overall theme of OS X Tiger.

Now my question is...the whole reason for me typing this up is for two reasons:

Any web master wants this article? I will freely give it anyone who wants to post it on there site -- but first come, first serve. Also, anyone know how to do benchmarks when it comes to browsers?

AIM me at GuiltyGaming, MSN me at [email protected], and email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or if you are interested in having this piece on your site. And, if you have suggestions on how to do benchmarks, then post them here.

( I wasn't sure where this should go...sorry if it's in the wrong place ).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

There are a lot of people out there who admit that OS X doesn't have a good, powerful browser that's not a resource hog -- ...

Huh! Are you serious? You started a new thread to bash all Mac browsers? But, you are looking for the least objectionable browser?

Clearly, you are not looking for information. But if you were, there are numerous discussions on this forum about favorite browsers. Your little thread cannot possibly shed new light on the question.

What's next? What is the best flavor of fattening ice cream?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Safari is best, I've tried them all.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Huh! Are you serious? You started a new thread to bash all Mac browsers? But, you are looking for the least objectionable browser?

Clearly, you are not looking for information. But if you were, there are numerous discussions on this forum about favorite browsers. Your little thread cannot possibly shed new light on the question.

What's next? What is the best flavor of fattening ice cream?

I was not bashing them -- simply stating what I have heard many "switchers" have stated. Being someone who has done research on Mac, WIndows and Linux, wrote a research paper on all three, I have read a lot of "switcher" stories...and a lot of them have stated that the browsers on Mac's are "resource hogs", which I have noticed to be true (at least Firefox/Safari). I have used others just barely, but found little things I didn't like -- so I just sticked with Firefox.

And I am looking for information on benchmarking browsers. I didn't know there was a such thing until today.

Also, not only have I read articles online, but I have heard people on this forum, people on other forums, and they have said the same thing....mac os x browsers are resource hogs.

I am sorry if you were offended by that statement. Whether or not it's the true I will find out within one, two months -- while I use and test about 6 or 7 browsers (the original list didn't turn up -- they didn't download correctly or wasn't a browser...even though it was on a "browser list".
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:

I was not bashing them -- simply stating what I have heard many "switchers" have stated. Being someone who has done research on Mac, WIndows and Linux, wrote a research paper on all three, I have read a lot of "switcher" stories...and a lot of them have stated that the browsers on Mac's are "resource hogs", which I have noticed to be true (at least Firefox/Safari). I have used others just barely, but found little things I didn't like -- so I just sticked with Firefox.

And I am looking for information on benchmarking browsers. I didn't know there was a such thing until today.

Also, not only have I read articles online, but I have heard people on this forum, people on other forums, and they have said the same thing....mac os x browsers are resource hogs.

I am sorry if you were offended by that statement. Whether or not it's the true I will find out within one, two months -- while I use and test about 6 or 7 browsers (the original list didn't turn up -- they didn't download correctly or wasn't a browser...even though it was on a "browser list".

We've gone over this. This isn't the first thread you've started comparing web browsers, and every time I feel more and more that you're just a Mac owner who's secretly a Windows fanboy looking to nitpick every little thing that's wrong with OS X.

Safari, and subsequently Webkit adhere to the web standards far more closely than any other browser out there. Website writers write their pages to accommodate the faults in IE. So that throws every other browser, which follow the rules, off.

As for all OS X browsers being a resource hog, Firefox is just as much of a hog on Windows as it is on OS X. now granted, there are leaks in Safari, but once those are patched, it'll be far slimmer than IE on Windows.

If you want to try out the latest build of Webkit, which will be used in Leopard, go to http://nightly.webkit.org/. It runs independantly of Safari, and is a seperate app.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

We've gone over this. This isn't the first thread you've started comparing web browsers, and every time I feel more and more that you're just a Mac owner who's secretly a Windows fanboy looking to nitpick every little thing that's wrong with OS X.

Safari, and subsequently Webkit adhere to the web standards far more closely than any other browser out there. Website writers write their pages to accommodate the faults in IE. So that throws every other browser, which follow the rules, off.

As for all OS X browsers being a resource hog, Firefox is just as much of a hog on Windows as it is on OS X. now granted, there are leaks in Safari, but once those are patched, it'll be far slimmer than IE on Windows.

Wait, I have actually started a thread HERE comparing web browsers? You've got to be kidding. Let me check for a second.

Ah hah! http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ht=web+browser I found it. Well, sorry for starting two similar topics. First off, the first one was about what makes a good web browser. However this one is about a couple of things (when I first started it): 1: kind of advertising the fact that I am going to write a comparision essay (whatever u want to call it) of mac web browsers (the original list is smaller now). 2: asking any web master if they want to publish this on their site (that has been taken). 3: asking people if they know how to do a web browser benchmark.

But, as of yet all that has happened was, A Someone said this thread was about bashing web browsers (which I can see where that came from -- but thats not my intent), B some one calls me a "secert windows fan", which kind of hurts -- because of all the OS's (which really, there are only three -- but Linux has TONS of versions...) I love OS X because its powerful, easy and makes my computing more enjoyable and above all more productive. And consdiering I have spent all semester compliling source upon source doing nothing but praising OS X above Vista, and writing about all of them together -- it once again kind of hurts that someone would actually consider me a windows fan.

So, this topic has gone off topic, again and again. Maybe it needs to be closed, honestly. Because out of all things I dislike, I hate it when a topic gets off-topic.

But if this does get closed...and someone DOES KNOW HOW TO BENCHMARK web browsers, please AIM me, GuiltyGaming, or email me, [email protected]

Thank you,

Allen Straith
  • Reply 6 of 51
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Hey, enjoy your experiment Allen. That's always a fun game to play.

I'm a long time Mac user with plenty of daily experience with Windows at work. I don't know where this "There are a lot of people out there who admit that OS X doesn't have a good, powerful browse" mindset originated from. I've seen it before on forums and on online articles as well, the author is almost always someone favoring Windows with no real experience about what he's talking about Mac wise, nor having the intelligence to recognize the real culprit. The culprit isn't the browser, it's sites that are designed specifically for MS "only" programs or code.

But it's good to experiment... more power to you.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    I have to say speed is not the only issue anymore. Firefox is my choice because of the awesome plug-ins. Opera has other great plug-ins, and Safari has ok plug-ins with the most speed of all browsers seen.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Hey, enjoy your experiment Allen. That's always a fun game to play.

I'm a long time Mac user with plenty of daily experience with Windows at work. I don't know where this "There are a lot of people out there who admit that OS X doesn't have a good, powerful browse" mindset originated from. I've seen it before on forums and on online articles as well, the author is almost always someone favoring Windows with no real experience about what he's talking about Mac wise, nor having the intelligence to recognize the real culprit. The culprit isn't the browser, it's sites that are designed specifically for MS "only" programs or code.

But it's good to experiment... more power to you.

And maybe thats true. Firefox does get up there, but then again, I never close Firefox..and both my girlfriend and I love watching/streaming videos...which causes the RAM to go up.

And I think anyone who says that every web browser is a resource hog is a bunch of hogwarsh! Just now, I have been using Opera and OmniWeb. Now OmniWeb, for the little bit I used it, stays low on RAM usage until you watch a video..and it stays up in the 100mb range. Opera, on the other, goes up after watching a video, and goes back into the 90mb range.

Out of those two, I believe Opera is best. Plus, OmniWeb costs money (which is stupid...), and since a free web browser pwns it, I don't know if anyone should buy the browser.

(just to clairfiy, I never said the browsers were resource hogs -- but i did make the mistake of calling all browsers bad. Sorry, you will notice it's been edited.)
  • Reply 9 of 51
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Safari is best, I've tried them all.

Firefox is best, I've tried them all.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

Firefox is best, I've tried them all.

I agree that Firefox is better then Safari.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    You (the original poster) are more than welcome to write an expository essay on which Mac browser is best. However, I suspect it's of little interest to many people. One thing that all the previous Which Browser Is Best threads has made clear, is that "best" is a subjective term with different meanings to just about anyone.

It won't change my browser preference, as there is only one browser with a Web Developer toolbar, and free, sophisticated ad-blocking capabilities.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I agree that Firefox is better then Safari.

I disagree, Safari is better than butter.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

You (the original poster) are more than welcome to write an expository essay on which Mac browser is best. However, I suspect it's of little interest to many people. One thing that all the previous Which Browser Is Best threads has made clear, is that "best" is a subjective term with different meanings to just about anyone.

It won't change my browser preference, as there is only one browser with a Web Developer toolbar, and free, sophisticated ad-blocking capabilities.

I don't know. When I switched from Windows to Mac, I looked all over the web for some browser that was "the Mac broswer". I looked, looked, but none -- not even Firefox (at the time) -- worked for me. It wasn't until Firefox 2.0 that I started to actually like surfing the web with my Mac. So, if there was an article at the time detialing every browser available -- maybe I wouldn't have had to download every browser to find one I liked.

But, maybe no one will care about it. I am still going to write it!
  • Reply 14 of 51
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have to get in on this discussion. I've just started using camino and I like it. I'm going to use it exclusively for the next week or so to see if it will be my preferred browser. So far though, I like.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Safari + Inquisitor = The Best
  • Reply 16 of 51
    I happen to prefer Camino, but a number of my friends actually prefer Firefox on the Mac. Dunno why. They even can't explain it to me.

IMO, Mac users who like Firefox owe it to themselves to try a recent stable build of Camino. Some recent trunk builds were scary.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Firefox is a bit slow to launch, but its privacy and security features are great and with plugins like AdBlock Plus and NoScript I finally have control over what my browser actually downloads. My advice...just launch FF at startup and leave it open for faster browsing.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I like Firefox and all of the Firefox extensions, but I love Safari + PithHelmet more.

Look and feel (with function) rules. Firefox feels clunky.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member
    I think that Safari with Saft+SafariStand is the best. Firefox is close, however and there are some features it has that I miss in Safari such as spell checking and support for some pages.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Firefox is close, however and there are some features it has that I miss in Safari such as spell checking and support for some pages.

Safari has spell checking. Edit-->Spelling