Need Advise

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi guyz,

im new to using apple computers as i have always used windows. i want to buy the MacBookPro 2:33GHz . but i just want to know if Leaopard came out. can i take out tiger and install leaopard perfectly without any side effects. or to get leopard will i have to buy a whole new computer.?

And also im planning on using my Mac for Video capturing, will my mac need any requirements? like a pc?. say for example i bought a capture device compatible with mac. will it say on the pack that i need requirements? thanks guyz i would appreciate ant help. thanks.

Last edited by Hydro-Kid : Today at 02:44 PM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You can upgrade to Leopard with no problems (well, none but the inevitable "new OS breaks a few things" problems). Major OS X releases generally go for about $120. Macs have upgrade routines

What kind of video capture did you have in mind? If you want to get TV in, there are some excellent solutions from companies like elgato that specialize in Mac software. If you need to transfer digitized material, Macs will work with anything that outputs on a USB or firewire port, as long as the codec used isn't some odd duck proprietary thing. Of course, the DV ouput of most camcorders works seamlessly with programs like iMove and Final Cut Pro, as well.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hydro-Kid View Post

im new to using apple computers as i have always used windows. i want to buy the MacBookPro 2:33GHz . but i just want to know if Leaopard came out. can i take out tiger and install leaopard perfectly without any side effects. or to get leopard will i have to buy a whole new computer.?

Leopard isn't out yet. It's now due out in October. If you buy a Mac now, you can upgrade to Leopard for $129 ($69 if you're a student, $199 for the multi-pack) when it comes out. Generally speaking, it's not advised to buy until after the first "point release" (sort of like a Windows update) a month or so later, but then again, it's not advised to buy Windows until after the first SP.