What's your favorite keyboard shortcut?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have to say, although useless, crl+opt+apple key+8 is awesome. What's your favorite? I haven't been able to find a definitive shortcut key list, so if you know where a complete list is, please let us all know!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Simple, but oh so important is CMD-Z
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Command-option-shift-V. Paste with current style attribute. Awesome for copying text from one source, then matching the format of the doc your working on.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Command-option-shift-V.

Same here. I also use Command-H a lot, and Command-Option-H (to hide all other apps).
  • Reply 4 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
     (option-shift-K)
  • Reply 5 of 42
    I am a big fan of using the cmd+tab interface and from there using cmd+h and cmd+q.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    i probably would go with the command-q shortcut

easily quit anything
  • Reply 7 of 42
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Apple-Z.

I wish Apple would hurry up and extend its functionality to real life.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I really like command+w. It's just like clicking the little red button on windows.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    While not technically a keyboard shortcut, I like the right click on the mouse-- very handy for a number of things.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

While not technically a keyboard shortcut, I like the right click on the mouse-- very handy for a number of things.

i don't own a mac yet, but we have at school, and a cool little thing, not sure if it's really considered a short cut, but ctrl + roll the scroll wheel up and down , it zooms into stuff, it's pretty cool. i also like apple+options+w ( i think it's that ) closes all the windows that are open.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Command-Q
  • Reply 12 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    F9,F10,F11,F12

Just press them in a random order when you're bored and the dancing windows will brighten up your day.

I use command-H too but more often I just alt-left-click the desktop, which hides the current app.

I wish there was a command combo to bring up a terminal. Even if one appeared when you do alt-command-escape.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    I gotta say, that last one was pretty cool.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Command-Delete followed by Shift-Cmd-Delete (Move to trash, empty trash).
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Does the mute key count?

If the iPhone has a "divert to voicemail when docked function" then I'll never have to interrupt my musical enjoyment ever again!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    I'm not sure about favorite, but it is my most used Apple plus and minus while browsing in Safari = Brilliance!
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Since we are on the subject.... Is there a key combination that will change the size of the mouse cursor?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 42
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Command+L

Automatically selects the URL box in Safari.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Option+L

Automatically selects the URL box in Safari.

Isn't that Command+L? Very cool! Did not know that one.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Come on guys! This is the best keyboard shortcut EVER! How can none of your have mentioned it?!?

In any application:

Command-Comma >>> Application Preferences

Brilliant! No other OS has this.