What are the options for getting an iPhone on opening day?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Since it sounds as if the iPhone's initial stock will be limited, what will be the chances of getting an iPhone as soon as it is released? Is there anything I can do to increase the odds of being one of the lucky ones?

(Or am I wrong, and there will be a surplus from jumpstreet?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Since it sounds as if the iPhone's initial stock will be limited, what will be the chances of getting an iPhone as soon as it is released? Is there anything I can do to increase the odds of being one of the lucky ones?

(Or am I wrong, and there will be a surplus from jumpstreet?)

A their price, the only wait you will have is wading through the people who are there is see iPhone buyers.

I can't imagine you will have any issue obtaining an iPhone opening day.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

A their price, the only wait you will have is wading through the people who are there is see iPhone buyers.

Hundreds of thousands will easily be able to afford and will be all too eager to be the first to own one. I understand that Cingular has begun to take pre-orders on th iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomster1300 View Post

Hundreds of thousands will easily be able to afford and will be all too eager to be the first to own one. I understand that Cingular has begun to take pre-orders on th iPhone.

If Cingular has pre-orders on the iPhone post a link, and back up your statement.

BTW, that phone will sell out in under 40 minutes. No matter how many there are.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

If Cingular has pre-orders on the iPhone post a link, and back up your statement.

I don't have a link. I asked a guy at the local Apple Store about a pre-order list at the Apple Store. He said there is none there but that Cingular has begun taking pre-orders. I did not follow up with Cingular. Perhaps he's full of s%*t or perhaps only the Austin Cingular store is doing it. Certainly makes sense to begin one.

The point of my post was that if anyone thinks there will be a line of folks at the Apple Store on opening day merely to watch others who are stupid enough to pay such a high price for an iPhone they are severely mistaken. This will be THE hot item of the summer and will divide the world between those who have the coolest gadget on the planet and those who do not.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Find the most obscure local Cingular store you can find, make sure they'll have an iPhone at launch, show up when they open, buy iPhone, enjoy.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I hope you are NOT the one who will be managing Iphone inventory/distribution! Your extreme statement shows your biases versus realistic probabilities.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I don't have a link. I asked a guy at the local Apple Store about a pre-order list at the Apple Store. He said there is none there but that Cingular has begun taking pre-orders. I did not follow up with Cingular. Perhaps he's full of s%*t or perhaps only the Austin Cingular store is doing it. Certainly makes sense to begin one.

The point of my post was that if anyone thinks there will be a line of folks at the Apple Store on opening day merely to watch others who are stupid enough to pay such a high price for an iPhone they are severely mistaken. This will be THE hot item of the summer and will divide the world between those who have the coolest gadget on the planet and those who do not.

Read the details on the apple and Cingular/ATT websites on the Iphone. The FCC has not signed off yet. I believe the day that is done will be day to put in the pre-order unless of course one has connections.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I logged-on to the Cingular website (moved quickly to AT&T, seamlessly) and was given the option to put my e-mail address on a list to receive information about iPhone. So far no response. There certainly was no preorder link.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    When the announcement was made there was a link on the Cingular site to elect a "notification" when the [hone becomes available. Some may be confusing the "notification" request with a pre-order. Not the same by any means.