maintenance. question.help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
what is the best maintenance i could do? i've had the macbook pro for a year now. i usually never do anything at all, but i feel like i should.

any suggestions? disk defrag? delete certain files?

what do you guys like to do

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

what is the best maintenance i could do? i've had the macbook pro for a year now. i usually never do anything at all, but i feel like i should.

You could always install Windows and then go through all the maintenance procedures it needs.

Quote:

any suggestions? disk defrag? delete certain files?

Don't defrag it. If you absolutely feel you have to, clone your drive to an external, format it and clone it back.

Quote:

what do you guys like to do

Cleaning caches is an ok thing to do after a long time. It's usually a problem solving thing though. You can get a program called cocktail and delete your kernel caches and font caches. Reboot immediately after and it will rebuild them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You could always install Windows and then go through all the maintenance procedures it needs.

Don't defrag it. If you absolutely feel you have to, clone your drive to an external, format it and clone it back.

Cleaning caches is an ok thing to do after a long time. It's usually a problem solving thing though. You can get a program called cocktail and delete your kernel caches and font caches. Reboot immediately after and it will rebuild them.

are you saying i dont really need to do anything? i mean it seems like my computer is running much slower than before. icons take multiple bounces before starting

isn't a disk defrag the most popular thing to do after having a computer for a while?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Download Onyx-- you can run some stuff that may help. It could also satisfy your itch.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

sn't a disk defrag the most popular thing to do after having a computer for a while?

Not on a Mac! OS X defrags automatically without you even noticing. In Windows, you have to do this every month or so.

Get MacJanitor or Onyx to perform the maintenance scripts in OS X and your system should be running fine again. If it's still running slowly, some of the software you installed causes the slowdown.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

are you saying i dont really need to do anything? i mean it seems like my computer is running much slower than before. icons take multiple bounces before starting

I thought you meant you felt like you should do some maintainence just because it's what other people do. If your machine is running slower, then you should use the tools mentioned.

Launch time can be improved by updating the prebinding but Tiger 10.4 doesn't need this.

Quote:

isn't a disk defrag the most popular thing to do after having a computer for a while?

Although OS X still gets fragmented, it shouldn't cause any slow down. Small files are defragmented on the fly as mentioned. If you absolutely want to, the procedure of cloning, formatting and cloning back is equivalent to defragging but is faster and safer.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    the thing is this machine is not nearly as fast as it once was. i have an imac that has a slower processor, less memory, and yet it seems faster.

also, this browser seems a lot slower than the one on the imac. what is going on? the imac loads pages so much faster and doesn't choke on something like myspace where my laptop does.

weirdness. can something be wrong with my airport card?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

the thing is this machine is not nearly as fast as it once was. i have an imac that has a slower processor, less memory, and yet it seems faster.

also, this browser seems a lot slower than the one on the imac. what is going on? the imac loads pages so much faster and doesn't choke on something like myspace where my laptop does.

weirdness. can something be wrong with my airport card?

Do both machines have the same DNS servers in the network control panel?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

Do both machines have the same DNS servers in the network control panel?

dns server is optional and there is nothing underneath it.

also, the imac picks up and uses internet connections from other houses around the neighborhood and yet the laptop does not.