Help me find novice/hobby-level DTP software for my Mom...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Okay, here's the deal: I think I might be THIS CLOSE to getting my Mom, of all people, switched to the Mac! She's completely fed-up with all the trouble her PC/Windows seems to be giving her and I've convinced her that all the things she likes (AOL, AIM, Microsoft Office, CD-burning, etc.) are all on the Mac (and in some cases, are BETTER on the Mac).

Here's the one sticking point she's concerned about: she LOVES using that Broderbund Print Shop (or whatever it's called) software. She makes cool cards and things all the time, and is actually quite good at it.

I think if I can find (either with Broderbund or something roughly equal) that lets you do cards, invitations, return address labels, etc., all from a beginner/hobbyist perspective (and PRICE), she might make the "switch" in 2003.

I've scooted through Broderbund's site and much of their stuff seems to be Windows-only.

My questions:

1. Does a Mac-compatible version of this type of home-user-level software exist?

2. If so, what is it? I'm still searching, but some of you may know something right off the bat. That's why I'm asking here.

My requirements:

1. HAS to run on Mac OS X. Nobody switching is going to want to look at OS 9 if they can help it.

2. It has to be affordable. I'm talking between $29-99 bucks. No high-end stuff that costs $479.

By the way, she and my stepdad FINALLY ditched their AOL/56k dial-up ways yesterdays and are now officially on cable modem.

It only took a year of bugging her about it. She's always online, trying to download songs and stuff and it takes forever and I've been telling her "cable modem, Mom...".

I told her if she switched to the Mac, she'd have all the free, built-in help and "tech support" she needs.

She'll flip over iTunes, I'm sure.

Anyway, any help on the printing/publishing software (for that type of user) would be greatly appreciated!

Also, don't laugh: is there an OS X version of Solitaire out there? Freeware, shareware or otherwise?

That might help the transition also...

Comments