PowerBook G4 Stll Good?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First off, should I even consider buying a PowerBook G4? Or would that be a bad idea?

Second, is this a good deal at: $1099 (US Dollars)

"512 MB of RAM, 80 GB internal drive, internal SuperDrive, internal 56k modem, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth installed, 17" TFT display, Used Mac with extended Apple warranty through 8/15/2007, OS CD is not included, OS 10.3.9 installed"

Of course it's pre-owned....but is it a good buy, or should I pass and just buy a MacBook Pro/MacBook?

Hmmm...the choices!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I still own a PB G4 and yeah, it functions (albeit it has a dead battery after three years). The machine also runs pretty hot, and has been relegated to presentation duty at work. It is (was, in that it is no longer really used for that much) a good machine, but...

I also have a a new MBP and it rocks. The base model is only $1999, it's new, it's got its OS CDs, and it flies circles around the G4. Really. (iSight, dual core CPU, 1GB memory, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.9 which is far better than 10.3...)

If you have the money, get a new one. Apps are also now coming out in binary, but that might change.

The only thing I don't like about my MBP is the trackpad button; it has an odd, stiff feel to it compared to my wife's MB's button. (and one dead pixel that Apple says to live with... and I basically don't notice it anymore but wish it weren't there)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

First off, should I even consider buying a PowerBook G4? Or would that be a bad idea?

Second, is this a good deal at: $1099 (US Dollars)

"512 MB of RAM, 80 GB internal drive, internal SuperDrive, internal 56k modem, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth installed, 17" TFT display, Used Mac with extended Apple warranty through 8/15/2007, OS CD is not included, OS 10.3.9 installed"

Of course it's pre-owned....but is it a good buy, or should I pass and just buy a MacBook Pro/MacBook?

Hmmm...the choices!

Get a new one. At that price, it's not worth it. How can it be $1099 when the brand new Macbook is $1099? The Macbook is faster in every respect. There's a refurb Macbook Pro on the Apple store right now at $1,349, just $250 more than that deal and with that you get the ability to use pretty decent 3D graphics. It's the older processor but it's still a good deal.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    :-D Okay!