Question about eSATA drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking to buy an external Firewire Drive and noticed that one of the choices at the OtherWorld Computing website is eSATA. What is the benefit of eSATA over Firewire 800? Thanks for any insight you can lend!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eSATA just uses a serial ATA Connection. Its just like pluggin a SATA Drive into the slot of the SATA Controler because as Far as I know does. SO you get the benifit of SATA Speeds which are 3Gb if I rem right For SATA II.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eSATA will also require a card to be put in your computer and a free SATA port (or at least that is how my card connected, it took up a PCI slot and plugged into my SATA port on the motherboard). So unless you have a tower which has expansion, then you cannot use an external SATA enclosure interface. myahmac2 is correct in saying the speed is 3Gb/s.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

eSATA will also require a card to be put in your computer and a free SATA port (or at least that is how my card connected, it took up a PCI slot and plugged into my SATA port on the motherboard). So unless you have a tower which has expansion, then you cannot use an external SATA enclosure interface. myahmac2 is correct in saying the speed is 3Gb/s.

you can get a PCMCIA eSATA card for the MBP too...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

you can get a PCMCIA eSATA card for the MBP too...

Don't you mean Expresscard? :P
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Would the speed of the drive be appropriate for editing HD video?