Video of Elvis duet on Idol

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I dont get much out of the American Idol thing, but I just saw something that amazed me...

Celine Dion on stage with Elvis singing a duet. It apeared as if it was live on stage with CD and an Elvis hologram. There were shots where Elvis was in the foreground out of focus while she was in focus behind him.

Obviously, I don't think it was actually a hologram--I don't think CD or the audiance could see Elvis outside of the video monitors--but it was still impressive if it was done realtime.

Anybody else see it?

Anybody know what technology they were using?

They said you could download it off iTunes...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Obviously, I don't think it was actually a hologram--I don't think CD or the audiance could see Elvis outside of the video monitors--but it was still impressive if it was done realtime.

Not quite as impressive if it's just real-time tracking/compositing. There was a tech demo out a while ago where they had a video of a guy holding and waving a flower and the flower was placed there digitally in real-time.

I find the technology that the Gorillaz team used to be quite impressive. If that's what they used here then that's pretty cool because the audience can see it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7FFAtTAsJM

Edit: I just watched it and that was very impressive. It seems that it was actually a hologram and the audience did see it. You could see it in the floor reflection. Not sure how they managed to zoom the camera around it, surely it could only have been a 2D projection.

In looking for info on this, I came across this article about Apple developing a holographic monitor:

http://technews.iit.edu/index.php?id=215

It seems to be fairly recent, not sure if it's been posted here before.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In looking for info on this, I came across this article about Apple developing a holographic monitor:

http://technews.iit.edu/index.php?id=215

That is interesting stuff.

I dont know how useful a holographic monitor would be, but it would be kick-a$$ cool.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quite honestly, to me it looked like what the live audience saw was an Elvis impersonator lip syncing. What the TV audience saw was some very carefully edited and layered footage of Elvis himself. I don't think any holographics were involved, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Quite honestly, to me it looked like what the live audience saw was an Elvis impersonator lip syncing. What the TV audience saw was some very carefully edited and layered footage of Elvis himself. I don't think any holographics were involved, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, the more I see it, it really looks that way. The jump cuts in the footage make it look like a double on stage for far away shots and a composite for the close-ups. There are quite a few people online reporting that it's a hologram. I'm sure it was on some news sites that hologram technology would be used.

Here's it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2K_fgy8Nc&feature=dir

I'm not sure if they are removing these since you are supposed to buy it off itunes so be quick.

The only hologram technology I've seen involves a huge screen and with the Gorillaz, you couldn't see the glass because of there being no stage lights but you couldn't do that on the American Idol stage. There's nothing to project onto.

Also, Celine's reactions in some of the shots looks a bit off, plus the only 3D movement on Elvis happens round the back so you don't see the face and it looks like at some points the white on Elvis's clothes changes, which suggest the footage at some points (which is more yellowish) and a double at others.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Yeah, the more I see it, it really looks that way. The jump cuts in the footage make it look like a double on stage for far away shots and a composite for the close-ups. There are quite a few people online reporting that it's a hologram. I'm sure it was on some news sites that hologram technology would be used.

Yeah. I posted immediately after I saw it before I did any research. I was so surprised by it and the tricks with the focusing in and out...

I also thought that whatever they did was real-time--not edited--but that seems to be wrong too. Oh well. I guess it was cool for a novelty, but nothing earth shattering like I first thought.

(*I can't believe I was excited about anything having to do with Celine D anyway*)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

I also thought that whatever they did was real-time--not edited--but that seems to be wrong too. Oh well. I guess it was cool for a novelty, but nothing earth shattering like I first thought.

I wonder how they can get away with that though. Surely they didn't try and sell it to the audience as something amazing if it was just a double on stage. Here's a news report about how they did it:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3087711

Just plain old rotoscoping. So they prerecorded the singer on an empty stage with nobody, then with the double and then rotoscoped Elvis onto the footage. This would be shown on screens while Celine performed with an Elvis double on stage. It seems like a pretty cheap over-hyped trick to boost ratings. Nothing too low for American Idol of course.

Quote:

(*I can't believe I was excited about anything having to do with Celine D anyway*)

I actually like Celine Dion

Except when I watch her on stage and then I question my sanity.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Here's a news report about how they did it:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3087711

Just plain old rotoscoping...

Yeah. That was actually the last story I read before putting up my ooops post. There was some ambiguity in some of the earlier stuff I read...none in this.