iPhone Battery Life Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can someone please tell me how people have come to interpret the iPhone's battery life as being up to 5 hours with talktime OR up to 16 hours with music playback?

I ask because I have recently been inclined to believe there to be 2 seperate batteries in the phone (ignoring that DIGG podcast from awhile back - though it does serve as additional evidence). In the materials that I have re-read recently, battery life specs could easily be interpreted as two, wholly seperate specifications. One for a battery providing power for the iPhone while the screen is on and while talking and one for a battery providing power for just listening to music on the iPhone.

Maybe I am just being to hopeful but I have even went back to the MWSF keynote and Steve even describes the battery life in such a way that leads one to believe that there is an additional 16 hours of music listening on top of the 5 hours of phone and screen use.

Was this clarified in any sort of interview or something else that I have missed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    There is one battery. The 5/16 hour thing is the same as cell-phones saying that their phone has 5 hours of talk-time and 96 hours on stand-by (if you talk for three hours then you ought not to expect that you will still get 96 hours of stand-by!).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

Can someone please tell me how people have come to interpret the iPhone's battery life as being up to 5 hours with talktime OR up to 16 hours with music playback?

No one is interpreting those battery life numbers. Apple is in fact advertizing 5 hours of talk/video/browsing and 16 hours of music playback on their website.

It's no different than the 80GB iPod battery life at 6 hours for video and 20 hours for music playback.

When talking on the iPhone, the battery has to power a transmitting/receiving radio, electronics to decode, encode the signal stream, and speakers, mics, etc. For video, it has to power a 3.5" color screen at medium brightness (or whatever level the 5 hours is rated for). For browsing, it has to power a radio and the screen.

When playing music, it's just the electronics to power the music while both the radio and screen can go into lower power modes. The same battery will be able to play music 3 times longer as the other stuff.

When doing nothing, ie, standby with a good radio signal, it goes into a really low power mode, standby, and should be able to last a few days.

Quote:

I ask because I have recently been inclined to believe there to be 2 seperate batteries in the phone (ignoring that DIGG podcast from awhile back - though it does serve as additional evidence). In the materials that I have re-read recently, battery life specs could easily be interpreted as two, wholly seperate specifications. One for a battery providing power for the iPhone while the screen is on and while talking and one for a battery providing power for just listening to music on the iPhone.

Those rumors we're from stupid analysts and rumorologists. That's all.