Mac Pro Memory/ GPU Updates

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What are the chances of us seeing the mac pro receive some form of updatein th enext month or so?

Granted they introduced 8 core processor recently, but apart from that everything else remained unchanged.

I am in the market for a new mac at the mo, recently decided balls to the iMac, gonna plump for a baseline mac pro (and if needs be buy my own memory from crucial to make it up to 2GB as i aint paying apples prices for RAM).

Think it is about time though they upped the specs a little, even if its only to tide ppl over untill penryn is introduced ie 2GB Ram as Standard (like with mid/top end macbook pro) and a slightly better GPU option, as for a machine that price the 7300 is piss poor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

Think it is about time though they upped the specs a little, even if its only to tide ppl over until penryn is introduced ie 2GB Ram as Standard (like with mid/top end macbook pro) and a slightly better GPU option, as for a machine that price the 7300 is piss poor

Others in this forum will have a better collective memory regarding GPU updates to existing systems, but I seem to recall it happening once or twice before. It's not out of the question that we could see a GPU update BEFORE penryn. It would be "refreshing" in a small sense, but don't expect anything else before October.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    That is all we will get for awhile. They would have done the whole line with intro of the 8 core machine. Also, they have their hands full...... Do you really think they would "refresh" a whole line after $$$ have been shelled out by Pros for the 8. They have had enough time to get them ready. I can see video card updates, if they can get drivers for them. iPhone, OSX and maybe ipods are the priorities.

I've been in the same boat as many graphics pros, with CS3 out it's time to do the complete upgrade to Intel. Sales of the existing line will be bought even though it's old tech. I just ordered the Pro 2.66 tonight.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Since the mac pro was introduced in august 06, all we have seen by way of updates is a small price drop for the ATI X1900 XT and the 8 core processor.

Apart from that it has remained static, price too!!!!

I priced up a windows tower to round about the same price as a stripped down mac pro and nearly fell off my chair when i seen how much more I could get (knew it would be significantly more but not that much more!!!!!)

Even if at WWDC or just before apple introduced a small refresh by way of 2GB memory standard, Nvidia 7600 as new standard graphics card, anything apple, please!!!