Setup a FTP with OS X?? Please help!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, I have been trying to setup an FTP on my machine along with my roomates for most of the day, but i can't seem to get it to work. Here is the website i have been following as of now:

http://www.ldml.com/services/support...serCreate.html

**Update** I got my roomates computer working, but now I cant get mine to work. When I goto a website to get my real ip address, for some reason it gives me the same ip as it gave my roomates. I thought that was weird so I went into my router settings and found that the ip that the websites give me is the routers ip address?? How can I get around this? What do i have to do to have these two ftps on the same network??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If you are on the same local network, you all have a common external IP address and unique internal ones. If you are accessing the FTP service from outside, the router can only forward to one machine. I've read about getting round it using iptables or something.

Perhaos you can set up a service on one machine that lets you forward to other local IPs. They'd have to be static though and you'd have to remember what they were. Not sure how you'd do it though.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmmfehmmfe Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Ok, I have been trying to setup an FTP on my machine along with my roomates for most of the day, but i can't seem to get it to work. Here is the website i have been following as of now:

http://www.ldml.com/services/support...serCreate.html

**Update** I got my roomates computer working, but now I cant get mine to work. When I goto a website to get my real ip address, for some reason it gives me the same ip as it gave my roomates. I thought that was weird so I went into my router settings and found that the ip that the websites give me is the routers ip address?? How can I get around this? What do i have to do to have these two ftps on the same network??

Easiest way to do this is for you and your roommate to use different ports for ftp. This way, you can setup port-forwarding to send the traffic to the appropriate ftp server. You will have to tell everyone that is using your ftp server to use the "custom" port on one of the servers (the other server can use the standard port).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmmfe View Post

Easiest way to do this is for you and your roommate to use different ports for ftp. This way, you can setup port-forwarding to send the traffic to the appropriate ftp server. You will have to tell everyone that is using your ftp server to use the "custom" port on one of the servers (the other server can use the standard port).

See that did cross my mind, but I wasn't sure if that was going to work. How would I setup the FTP to accept a different port? Would I have to go to the terminal and change something, or is it a setting in the NetInfo Manager? Where would I do this?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

See that did cross my mind, but I wasn't sure if that was going to work. How would I setup the FTP to accept a different port? Would I have to go to the terminal and change something, or is it a setting in the NetInfo Manager? Where would I do this?

Actually you don't need to change the server port just which external ports map to those ports. If OIP is the outside IP and IIP1 and IIP2 are the the two internal IP then you want to set up the router as follows assuming you want to you port 1020 and 1021 for the two machines

map OIP:1020 to IIP1:21

map OIP:1021 to IIP2:21

If someone want to ftp to the first machine they use ftp -P1020 OIP

to the second machine ftp -P1021 OIP

The only things you need to adjust are on the router. You don't need to touch either server.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Actually you don't need to change the server port just which external ports map to those ports. If OIP is the outside IP and IIP1 and IIP2 are the the two internal IP then you want to set up the router as follows assuming you want to you port 1020 and 1021 for the two machines

map OIP:1020 to IIP1:21

map OIP:1021 to IIP2:21

If someone want to ftp to the first machine they use ftp -P1020 OIP

to the second machine ftp -P1021 OIP

The only things you need to adjust are on the router. You don't need to touch either server.

I got it to work thanks a lot! One more question would be how can I let the account upload to there folder as well. Right now I have it setup by the directions on the link above, but it's not letting anyone upload anything to me. How can I set it up so they can upload and download in there folder?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Ok, so I have the FTP working up to a point. I think when I get the FTP the way I want it, I'll do a step by step tutorial. Right now, I know how to create the shell, create the user accounts/passwords, edit them, and setup the NetInfo Manager. My last question would be this: I have 5 accounts set up right now, each one has its own folder, and they can read/write to it, which is fine. I need one more folder to be created named "clients", and I need to be able to give this account to all of them obviously, but I don't want them to have access to all of the stuff there, I just want them to be able to create a directory, and be able to upload/download from their self made directory ONLY. I don't want them to have access to everyones files. I know it has to do with permissions, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    DD, I'll be looking forward to your step by step tutorial! I'm looking to do about the same thing.