Battlestar Galactica: Myths, Truths, and Our "Real World" Galaxy

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So there was the recent news that an earth-like planet was found only 20 light years away in the constellation Libra. Hell, 1/3 of the speed of light and a huge fleet/ travelling colony could make it there in 60 years.

So then I was thinking, does this mean Libra constellation is only 20 light years away? Nope, because the constellations are mapped by our view of them in the sky. So I found out, for each constellation, there could be stars hundreds of light years away from each other.

Now I was ruminating on Battlestar Galactica final episode. I kinda noticed in the final pullout effect, the zoomed out of the galaxy, but kinda zoomed back in to near where they had zoomed out.

So I started looking at each constellation, and decided to check the list ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._constellation ) and come up with the *nearest star and furtherst star from Earth* for each constellation. Very geeky, I know. Well, it's Sunday, and I got nothing else to do, I'm not supposed to be working today (not a religious thing)...

The order is from right to left from http://www.dacha.freeuk.com/zodiac/dsm-b.htm . The Battlestar Galactica "colony" name is next to it. Okay, let's get into it. LY = LightYears. Any corrections of course, feel free to mention

Pisces [Picon]

14 LY : van Maanen's star

2,296 LY : 101 Psc

Aries [Aerelon]

12-15 LY : TZ Arietis, Teegarden's star(?)

1,342 LY : unnamed, location 02h 03m 42.61s +18° 15? 11.8?

Taurus [Tauron]

45 LY : 10 Tau

2,103 LY : 139 Tau

Gemini [Gemenon]

34 LY : Pollux

5,821 LY : 41 Gem

Cancer [Canceron]

11.8 LY: DX Cnc

3,928 LY: unnamed, location 08h 09m 35.19s +29° 05′ 35.1″

Leo [Leonis]

7.8 LY : Wolf 359 (Trekkies will know significance of this star system)

6,653 LY: 72 Leo

Virgo [Virgon]

14.3 LY : Wolf 424

1,160 LY : 65 Vir

Libra [Libris]

20 LY : Gl 581

1,863 LY : unnamed, location 14h 47m 13.66s −21° 19′ 29.6″

Scorpio [Scorpia]

23 LY : unnamed, location 17h 18m 56.36s −34° 59′ 22.5″

9,000 LY : Scorpius X-1

Sagittarius [Sagittaron]

9.7 LY : Ross 154

5,000 LY : OGLE-TR-10

Capricon [Caprica]

39 LY : δ Cap

108,667 LY : unnamed, location 20h 11m 10.08s −08° 50′ 32.4″

Aquarius [Aquaria]

11.3 LY : EZ Aqr

6,792 LY : 35 Aqr

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    So, according to the Star Trek side of things, Warp 8 (1,024 times the speed of light) means 7.1 days for 20 light years travel, and 10 years for 10,000 light years. Of course, any faster-than-light travel in popular Sci-Fi is problematic in any real terms ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_speed ).

However. Back to Battlestar Galactica. Unfortunately I don't have the skillz or software to plot and visualize in 3D the 12 constellations relative to Earth, relative to each other, and the stars in each constellation relative to other stars within the same constellation.

1. The first thing I gather is that for each "constellation" Colony, it is very undefined which star system is the "seat" of the colony and which others make up the colonized planets/systems.

2. Following on from this, it is thus highly fictional how the Colonies relate to each other in terms of distance. In one recent episode Baltar refers to his backwater home colony of Aerelon as the "food basket" for the Colonies. This and the idea of "unified colonies" that facilitate travel and commerce and politics, war, etc. that the core planets of the various colonies are within 1 day, 1 week to maybe 6 months of each other in terms of travel time.

3. The above gives us an idea of how fast the FTL Drives in the Fleet can propel a ship in a single jump.

4. I feel the producers and writers have thus been very smart in playing with the vagaries of the actual 3D locations of the stars and planets of each constellation/Colony with regards to Earth. They also hint that the Earth as the "13th" Colony could be reachable within just months, or not more than a few years should they know better where it is, since the nearest stars to Earth of each constellation are anywhere between roughly 10 to 100 light years. However, the "unknown path" story element makes it sound like the 13th Tribe's journey and the current Fleet + Cylon search for Earth, is an epic adventure. Very smart.

• Reply 2 of 42
    So where does that leave us? As in most science fiction, exactly where the writers want us to be, plus or minus our own imagination.

However, my analysis here justifies the visual effect in the last episode of Season 3 where there is a massive camera move pullout showing the whole galaxy, then the camera zooms back in to the part of the galaxy roughly but not quite where it pulled out from.

Earth is not that far away, but the journey may be a long and hard one. Cue "The Matrix" and its long treatise on "paths", "journeys" and "choices".
  • Reply 3 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er, exactly what, other than the similarity of names, places each colony within the constellation as seen *from Earth*?

I think you're trying to read way too much into this.

(Also, I'd point out that, and I know this is going to be a shock, but I thought it best someone break it to you... it's fiction. )
  • Reply 4 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    At the very least, it would make sense to send radio signals or some kind of communication to that planet... and in 40 years, maybe we'll get some kind of a response!
  • Reply 5 of 42
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    If you want to see the universe as it really is, download Celestia and the Expansion packs . A good one is the 2 million star database for starters.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Er, exactly what, other than the similarity of names, places each colony within the constellation as seen *from Earth*?.....

That's my point. A constellation as seen from Earth, is actually a collection of stars/ star systems that have over 20 star/ star systems *within a constellation*, with the size of a constellation spanning up to 5000 light years or more.

That's the "problem" with the "Colonies" of Battlestar Galactica, there is no indication, for example, for Caprica, which planet in which star system it is in of the Capricorn constellation.

However, it is an essential part of the storyline (yes I know it is fiction, hence the word "story"line) that Caprica is a planet in a star system that is part of the Capricorn constellation.

There is an episode in Season 2 of BSG where they see the constellations as seen from Earth. And this correlates to the Colonies.

But again, it's half-here half-there, given a particular constellation covers so much of the galaxy, there's a lot of wiggle room in the storylines.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

...I think you're trying to read way too much into this....(Also, I'd point out that, and I know this is going to be a shock, but I thought it best someone break it to you... it's fiction. )

Huh? I thought this was a hardcore geeky forum site. Harumph!! I shall take my business elsewhere then, dear sir....
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

If you want to see the universe as it really is, download Celestia and the Expansion packs . A good one is the 2 million star database for starters.

Cool. Thanks. Could someone run a query on the star database (not Celestia, maybe something more hardcore...)(??) -- What are the number of star systems in each of the 12 constellations which are each no futher than 100 light years away from any other star system of the other 11 constellations??
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

I've enjoyed playing with Celestia for about a year. Great app.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

3. The above gives us an idea of how fast the FTL Drives in the Fleet can propel a ship in a single jump.

Well, technically, the FTL drives in Battlestar Galactica are 'jump' or 'space folding' drives. The ship doesn't actually travel faster, it just folds space around itself and appears nearly instantaneously at the destination.

OK, that's enough geek for today!!

Quote:

Oooh, that looks interesting! Thanks for the links!
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Well, technically, the FTL drives in Battlestar Galactica are 'jump' or 'space folding' drives. The ship doesn't actually travel faster, it just folds space around itself and appears nearly instantaneously at the destination.

Oooh, that looks interesting! Thanks for the links!

Trivia time: Who came up with the 'folding space' concept first?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I was under the impression that the Rag Tag Fugitive Fleet jumped into a new nebula (apparently our galaxy) from their galaxy. It could explain the RTFF-wide power outage: different galaxy with different spacial properties.

Bear in mind that Tigh and the other [Cylons?] heard Jimi Hendrix. Radio signals with that music were emitted from earth in the 1960's, so if Galactica is happening now vs. the future, the RTFF is close (40 light years or so).

Ah, fuggit. It's a TV show....

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 13 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I plan to visit most of those colonies after the Rapture...
  • Reply 14 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

E.E. Smith in the Lensman series, wasn't it?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Hmm, I'll have to apply some Google-Fu to that one! \

In the meantime, enjoy this:

The Adama Maneuver [Caution - BSG Season 3 BIG Spoiler!!]
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Spice. Travel to any part of the universe without moving.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Am I right???
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I plan to visit most of those colonies after the Rapture...

Heh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

I was under the impression that the Rag Tag Fugitive Fleet jumped into a new nebula (apparently our galaxy) from their galaxy. It could explain the RTFF-wide power outage: different galaxy with different spacial properties.

Bear in mind that Tigh and the other [Cylons?] heard Jimi Hendrix. Radio signals with that music were emitted from earth in the 1960's, so if Galactica is happening now vs. the future, the RTFF is close (40 light years or so).

Ah, fuggit. It's a TV show....

V/R,

Aries 1B

Wow, Hendrix, jumping into a different galaxy. Whoa. That totally changes *everything*. Indeed, it be fiction now. No more science.

Quote:

Never enough geek! .... Yeah, Science Fiction features 3 main ways of travelling faster than light.

1. Warping space - travel faster than light, at a certain multiple of light speed. Eg. Star Trek

2. Folding space - instantaneous, distance varies. Eg. Battlestar Galactica, Dune [in Dune distance is irrelevant when folding space. "Travel to any part of the universe, without moving..."]

3. Entering another dimension to then exit at a faster-than-if-it-took-you-light-speed-travel- location.Eg. Babylon5.

StarWars I think is more in category 1. because (A) Han Solo mentions calculating the hyperspace as being important and not "bouncing off some asteroid" IIRC -- suggesting faster-than-light-travel *through normal space*...
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

Hmm, I'll have to apply some Google-Fu to that one! \

In the meantime, enjoy this:

The Adama Maneuver [Caution - BSG Season 3 BIG Spoiler!!]

That was one of the best "Space" Battle sequences EVER. Abso-fracking-lutely brilliant. Also I believe one of the very very few science fiction TV/Movie scenes to actually have a spaceship *jump* while in the atmosphere.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Damn, nvidia2008, I spent the entire day yesterday resting and investigating as well, but you had ghe more interesting topic! I somehow got stuck on Noah's Ark and Christianity in general. Should have gone the SF route; it certainly is more comprehensible, logical and believable and at least the creators are open about its being fiction.

Wonder what life forms migh exist on that planet...?

Think they might look like this: ?

So this could be a family: . There is always a little devil in the fam!

Perhaps I need another day off...