Maxtor External Harddrive and Mac OS X Problem?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there,

I just bought myself my first ever Apple machine. I must say that it has to be one of the most beautiful things in the world. A friend pointed me in the direction of this website. And I am now very glad to be part of this community

I have noticed one little nuisance though, and I am wondering whether it is a known problem. I have an external hard-drive - Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 - connected to my USB port.

On starting the machine, I hear the standard bell. However, the bell is sounded four times in total before the OS is started. Removing the USB drive seems to fix the problem, and the bell is only sounded once.

Is this a known problem?

Regards,

Joel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    Well, I just ordered a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 from staples. It hasn't come yet, but I'll try and remember to let you know if I have any issues.

According to the maxtor website, it should be mac compatible:

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/Basics_Basic/
  • Reply 2 of 2
    loopedlooped Posts: 2member
    Hi,

I just bought one last week and it's been working pretty good so far. Not sure what could be the problem, but you say it's hooked up to the Mac's USB port? Had a thought for a second that it might be connected to a USB hub (not sure if that'd be a problem if it was).

Have you got any other computers at home you could try it out on? Perhaps it might shed some light on whether the drive is at fault, the Mac, or perhaps it's a combination of the sun and the moon and a funky install of OS X.

Sorry for not offering much help, but hopefully it can be remedied easily.