Is Skype worth it?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was looking on the Skype website, and it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all, I just don't know anyone that uses it. I'm not familiar with it at all, but it seems like if I pay 30 bucks a year, you can call anyone in the US? I'm assuming the only little downfall about it is, for anyone to call you, you need to have your computer on and the software running. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I was looking on the Skype website, and it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all, I just don't know anyone that uses it. I'm not familiar with it at all, but it seems like if I pay 30 bucks a year, you can call anyone in the US? I'm assuming the only little downfall about it is, for anyone to call you, you need to have your computer on and the software running. Anyone here have any experience with it?

You don't actually need to have a PC running ... you could buy one of these:

http://tools.netgear.com/skype/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmm, I'll have to look into it. That website says to call other landlines "it costs pennies". I thought it was a flat rate to call whatever in the US.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    you can buy either a plan (fixed price for a year) or minutes which will apply to all countries. With the flat rate, you get 1.5 euros or so of money for calling. I think it is worth it, but then again, I use it for 5+ hours a day.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    majordudemajordude Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

It's great! (Was even greater until they started charging for the service on New Years!)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I definately agree. But I am willing to pay 30 (i paid 15 because it was on sale) for a year of free calls. Just think of the ratio. if you use it 5 hours a month, thats 2 hours per dollar. if you use it 5 hours a day its 60 hours per dollar. Not bad eh?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neuromancerzero View Post

I definately agree. But I am willing to pay 30 (i paid 15 because it was on sale) for a year of free calls. Just think of the ratio. if you use it 5 hours a month, thats 2 hours per dollar. if you use it 5 hours a day its 60 hours per dollar. Not bad eh?

Not bad at all, I might have to give this a shot
  • Reply 7 of 7
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    Skype is great for computer-to-computer calls for free, but if you want to pay for calling a land-line, please be prepared for a crappy connection.

You are better off buying a cheap phone card in the metro or where-ever. You pay a bit more for a better connection.

Skype-to-phone is shite.