Macbook Pro stolen... New one?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, someone broke into my house on monday and stole my Macbook Pro (15 inch 2.33 GHz), PS3, Nikon D50, Sony DSC-P10, and both my xbox 360 controllers, all i really cared about was my macbook pro. Should i go out and buy the 17 inch or should i wait for the new macbooks? I've read a couple threads and the new ones are supposed to be LED and maybe are 2.4 GHz now? Ill be starting college around August but i dont think i would really need it that bad, what do you guys think? I'm def thinking about getting the lojack for laptops or orbicule undercover. (first post on AI )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    i think i'd wait. it feels like there's an impending update to the macbook pro line. i'm waiting myself.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itzjonjon69 View Post

Well, someone broke into my house on monday and stole my Macbook Pro (15 inch 2.33 GHz), PS3, Nikon D50, Sony DSC-P10, and both my xbox 360 controllers,

Damn, that sucks. I'm guessing you got insurance on it. If not, that's really bad news. Even if you do, it's a terrible thing to happen. Thieves assume that insurance justifies theft and it really doesn't. Too bad the courts are so lenient on them.

Quote:

Should i go out and buy the 17 inch or should i wait for the new macbooks?

I would wait, it shouldn't be long now. Two weeks or so I'm hoping.

Quote:

I'm def thinking about getting the lojack for laptops or orbicule undercover.

Either that or just make sure that you have insurance and when they steal it that it's just before a product update. That way you get free upgrades for life.

Quote:

(first post on AI )

Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:

Well, someone broke into my house on monday and stole my Macbook Pro (15 inch 2.33 GHz), PS3, Nikon D50, Sony DSC-P10, and both my xbox 360 controllers,

man, i would have cryed sooo much if i had one of those things robbed, thats so much money that you've put into stuff, and then to have it all taken away... daaaamn... i hate bastards like that, probably some smach head needing money for their next fix. cunts...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if registered you can contact apple and if they try to repair it you might be able to retrieve it

notify the police and check local flea markets and pawn shops

they didn't get the disks that came with the unit so it can't be restored.

the thing is, people out their value macs, but if someone considers buying one without the disks you start to wonder. also is it login protected???

there are software programs that will "locate" once stolen and connected to the internet.

also if they don't have your login and password they can't get updates
  • Reply 5 of 16
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

if registered you can contact apple and if they try to repair it you might be able to retrieve it

the thing is, people out their value macs, but if someone considers buying one without the disks you start to wonder. also is it login protected???

there are software programs that will "locate" once stolen and connected to the internet.

Retrieving stolen property is not that simple. I had my house broken into in 1999 (Tampa, Fl). New Mac tower, Apple Monitor, guns, cameras, jewelry, etc. I had serial numbers for every item that had a serial number, I had pictures, all kinds of documentation. The deputy told me he has never seen anyone with that much documentation of items stolen. Here it is 2007 and nothing has every turned up.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

If the thieves don't have OS X, they can just buy a copy, boot from CD, reformat the drive, and move on.

But honestly, my guess is that most thieves don't even understand the value/use of the hardware they are stealing. They probably sell it cheaply to another, more tech-savvy criminal who knows the value and how to resell it for decent money.

I expect there are many less scrupulous folks willing to buy a 15" MBP for $600 with no questions asked.

Definitely sucks to get robbed. My biggest concern is data loss. You can replace the laptop, but if they steal all you backup drives/media, too, that's a lifetime of unreplaceable data. Yeah, network backup, but as a media developer, I have umpteen GB of backup. A fire-proof safe bolted to floor is a start. Safe-deposit box better.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

If the thieves don't have OS X, they can just buy a copy, boot from CD, reformat the drive, and move on.

not yet. remember, tiger isnt being sold as a univeral binary yet, its still only in ppc. doesnt really help you get it back though...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

..snip....

I expect there are many less scrupulous folks willing to buy a 15" MBP for $600 with no questions asked.

..snip....

And therein lies the problem!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

not all the time as systems that come from schools and other business don't come with any software disks form time to time or are sold as no OS installed.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    I had a bag stolen last October. 15" PowerBook, 40gb iPod, digital camera, 60gb firewire drive, brand new passport, checkbooks for two bank accounts. I was devastated, though grateful I wasn't in the middle of a project (I design and animate).

Fortunately I had a bit of software called Undercover installed as well as activating the firmware password. The theif (or rather subsequent buyer as the theif was almost certainly a junkie street gypsy) couldn't login other than as a limited 'Guest', or re-boot with a different disc, therefore had to re-sell it on eBay with my account still intact on the machine.

Having reported the laptop theft to Orbicule, once the new owner connected to the internet his IP address was located. There's also a load of other cool features of the software.

I can't recommend this software enough - I got my laptop back 3 weeks later (nothing else unfortunately) with ALL my data still intact.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I had a bag stolen last October. 15" PowerBook, 40gb iPod, digital camera, 60gb firewire drive, brand new passport, checkbooks for two bank accounts. I was devastated, though grateful I wasn't in the middle of a project (I design and animate).

Fortunately I had a bit of software called Undercover installed as well as activating the firmware password. The theif (or rather subsequent buyer as the theif was almost certainly a junkie street gypsy) couldn't login other than as a limited 'Guest', or re-boot with a different disc, therefore had to re-sell it on eBay with my account still intact on the machine.

Having reported the laptop theft to Orbicule, once the new owner connected to the internet his IP address was located. There's also a load of other cool features of the software.

I can't recommend this software enough - I got my laptop back 3 weeks later (nothing else unfortunately) with ALL my data still intact.

Just read thru the Undercover info. Very slick. It seems to be well worth the $39.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

New Mac tower, Apple Monitor, guns, cameras, jewelry, etc.

Guns? Am I reading right?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Guns. Surely. We, at least where I live, don't allow just criminals to have guns or to make people who own guns criminals.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

There are thieves about y'know.

I wish we had guns in the UK. We have gangs of youths that go about drunk and beat people up. I think everyone should have the right to defend themselves and being armed is the only way when such odds are against you. Of course, if you have any sort of criminal record then those rights should be taken away.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wish we had guns in the UK. We have gangs of youths that go about drunk and beat people up. I think everyone should have the right to defend themselves and being armed is the only way when such odds are against you. Of course, if you have any sort of criminal record then those rights should be taken away.

Then instead of the gangs of youth just getting drunk and beating up people, they could shoot them too.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

edit: Sorry to the OP about the theft. It sucks.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wish we had guns in the UK. We have gangs of youths that go about drunk and beat people up. I think everyone should have the right to defend themselves and being armed is the only way when such odds are against you.

I am not sure if I agree with this Marvin. Is not this work for the policemen? If "sensitive" areas had good police surveillance probably the gangs would do something else instead of beating unsuspected people.

Of course you can answer: if you are dead because the policemen were watching TV, then it is too late. And you would be right. But as I said, it is a very difficult moral problem since it involves potentially taking a human life, even if this would happen while in defense. And this is before considering what could happen with armed drunken people etc. (not yet criminals).