Mac users' Web 2.0 affinity seen driving Apple share gains

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Investment analysts at ThinkEquity Partners LLC are reiterating their Buy rating on shares of Apple this week, citing recent studies that show Mac users are twice as active in the Web 2.0 ecosystem and purchase better technology than their PC counterparts.

"Apple is, in our opinion, a software company that manifests itself through hardware," lead analyst Jonathan Hoopes wrote in a report to clients on Friday.

He pointed out that the latest survey results from Net Applications indicates the company's OS market share jumped to 6.21 percent (or up 38 percent) from April 2006. The Mac maker's Safari browser share, according to the same firm, also increase 48 percent to 4.59 percent year-over-year during the first quarter.

"This Mac OS market share is higher than our estimate of an approximate 5 percent

market share of the total PC market," the analyst told clients. "However, Net Applications' survey is based on usage, and the results appear to indicate that Mac users spend more time online and/or visit more Websites than Windows users per session."

In his note, Hoopes also pointed to a recent analysis of a Forrester study conducted by Ars Technica, which found that over 20 percent of Mac users, or twice as many as Dell users, are "Creators" involved in the production of Web 2.0 content.

The study also concluded that Mac users are also more likely to be critics, spectators and participants in social groups. In all, the study found that only 35 percent of Mac users are "inactive", versus inactivity levels around 55 percent for Dell users, who are also less likely to be involved in the Web 2.0 ecosystem.

"The results support the idea that a higher percentage of Mac users overlap with the younger Web 2.0 crowd," wrote Hoopes. "This group has higher demand for computer functionality and performance, and are more likely than average PC users to purchase better technology to support their activities."

The ThinkEquity analyst said it's his opinion that Apple has established a premium image with a less price-sensitive group.

"While a strong equity market is helping, we believe Apple's recent share price performance is a good indication that the strong Apple brand is poised to experience further share gains and drive increased 'earnings power,'" he wrote.

Hoopes reiterated his Buy rating and $130 price target on shares of the Cupertino-based firm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:

"Apple is, in our opinion, a software company that manifests itself through hardware," lead analyst Jonathan Hoopes wrote in a report to clients on Friday.

I think this is a brilliant comment, not least because I've been saying similar things over time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    For one, the current trend seems to be that a lot of the more knowledgeable windows users are switching to mac now -- at least with my experience.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hoopes reiterated his Buy rating and $130 price target on shares of the Cupertino-based firm.

That would make for a nice early Christmas present...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That would make for a nice early Christmas present...

An even better Forth of July present.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

An even better Forth of July present.

I'll take both!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think this is a brilliant comment, not least because I've been saying similar things over time.

It doesn't hurt that Jobs has also said it.

I think they should also survey the internet cafe's and other more active areas of computer use so that the $500 WalMart computer crowd and the dull enterprise pc's are not over emphasized.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Does anybody actually know what Web 2.0 means? The article (the thrust of which I agree with) seems to suggest that Mac users spend more time on the web; duh... What's that got to do with this nebulous idea of Web 2.0?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Does anybody actually know what Web 2.0 means? The article (the thrust of which I agree with) seems to suggest that Mac users spend more time on the web; duh... What's that got to do with this nebulous idea of Web 2.0?

Whatever it was - it was so last year!

"People keep asking what Web 3.0 is. I think maybe when you've got an overlay of scalable vector graphics - everything rippling and folding and looking misty - on Web 2.0 and access to a semantic Web integrated across a huge space of data, you'll have access to an unbelievable data resource."

?Tim Berners-Lee

(TBL was the inventor of WWW)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Web 2.0 is (in part) about user created content. Flickr, YouTube, Slashdot, boards like this, they all rely on users contributing to make the site valuable. It's about moving your audience from being passive consumers to active participants. Toss in some user customization, and a little AJAX* and you have Web 2.0.

- Jasen.

* Another near meaningless buzzword that has been overloaded and misused by those wanting to sound cool and trendy.