Can't FTP files UP to a server using OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, have hosted shared site on Godaddy. I used the GO > Connect to Server > ftp://yoursite.com to connect to my server... all the files show up... i can download them... but when I try to UPLOAD it sez ... "Cannot move file XXX because ftp.yoursite.com cannot be modified"

I called Godaddy and they said everything looked good on their side... of course.

I know you can upload using OSX... I've seen my friend do it... I'm stymied. Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Finder can't do FTP uploads.

You can use the Terminal or get one of numerous FTP applications.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Finder can't do FTP uploads.

You can use the Terminal or get one of numerous FTP applications.

You will need to install an FTP application. I use a free one called Cyberduck. It works great.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Ditto the above. For some reason known but to Steve Jobs, the Finder looks like it can handle FTP uploads. It can't. Cyberduck is good, there are cheap FTP clients that handle SFTP if security is a concern.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They really need to "fix" FTP in the Finder in 10.5. I mean why half-ass it? Isn't FTP built in to UNIX or something? Can't they just let it do simple uploads?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

They really need to "fix" FTP in the Finder in 10.5. I mean why half-ass it? Isn't FTP built in to UNIX or something? Can't they just let it do simple uploads?

There are several freeware and shareware GUI-based FTP apps available for MacOS X. Interarchy mounts FTP servers on the Desktop with read/write access. Several of these are excellent apps produced by Mac-only developers for more than a decade. Apple does not need to screw its most loyal third-party developers.