Airport Extreme Handicapped Out The Box?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If one was to purchase an Airport Extreme in Europe, with their restricted 5ghz laws, is the hardware handicapped permanently so that if I was even to take said Airport to America, I wouldn't get the full benefit of the 5ghz spectrum as I bought the hardware in Europe?

Can one simply just alter the setting for the Airport to "America", and thereby getting the full capabilities of the Airport Extreme?

( Queries stemming out of this article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/i...m?newsid=17059 )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht View Post

If one was to purchase an Airport Extreme in Europe, with their restricted 5ghz laws, is the hardware handicapped permanently so that if I was even to take said Airport to America, I wouldn't get the full benefit of the 5ghz spectrum as I bought the hardware in Europe?

Can one simply just alter the setting for the Airport to "America", and thereby getting the full capabilities of the Airport Extreme?

( Queries stemming out of this article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/i...m?newsid=17059 )

Simply setting it to "Ireland" gives you the 5Ghz mode.

Curiously enough, it is set to Ireland when it comes out of the box.

Been enjoying 270 megabits for a while now - The bandwidth police have not yet kicked my door down.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    That was a simple workaround! If that is indeed the case, then you've the most powerful consumer WiFi Router there is in the United Kingdom.

How are you enjoying it?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht View Post

That was a simple workaround! If that is indeed the case, then you've the most powerful consumer WiFi Router there is in the United Kingdom.

How are you enjoying it?

It meets my needs very well indeed.

I have it in the basement, hooked up to...

... A 500GB USB Drive - full o media.

... An always-on PC which I use for FTP etc.

... An 802.11G wireless router - which serves the legacy wireless devices. (Dual band network)

and the ADSL modem.

I think Apple should have included an ADSL modem for UK customers.

And it would have been better if the ethernet ports were gigabit.

But generally I am really happy with it.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kmhtkmhtkmhtkmhtkmhtkmht Posts: 193member
    On a seperate note, my Buffalo Linkstation Pro's transfer rates are horrid over WiFi, it's essentially unusable cause it's so slow... I've no idea what's wrong with it!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I have an aging 3Com wireless ADSL router and a 3Com gigabit switch which I wanted to replace with an Airport Extreme. Sadly the lack of gigabit or included ADSL modem have put me right off. I guess I'll have to wait for the next revision! I don't understand why Apple didn't include a gigabit lan, all their Macs do. 802.11n is still dead slow by comparison.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I have an aging 3Com wireless ADSL router and a 3Com gigabit switch which I wanted to replace with an Airport Extreme. Sadly the lack of gigabit or included ADSL modem have put me right off. I guess I'll have to wait for the next revision! I don't understand why Apple didn't include a gigabit lan, all their Macs do. 802.11n is still dead slow by comparison.

It might be dead slow. but personally, I am totally impressed by being able to move a 1Gigabyte HD TV show file - across a wireless network in 2 minutes!

C.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It might be dead slow. but personally, I am totally impressed by being able to move a 1Gigabyte HD TV show file - across a wireless network in 2 minutes!

C.

That I don't doubt, but the Airport card in my MacBook Pro is pre n-spec So I'd have to void the warranty if I was to upgrade. Although WiFi is no doubt the future I'd much prefer to send a 1 gig file over 2 feet of wire in seconds than over the air in a few minutes. Perhaps when I add more storage space to my Apple TV I'll take the plunge. It's a shame opening a box and installing a perfectly good Apple part voids the warranty.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    Well, I have here two MacBook Pros (Core Duo), and two Mac Pro 802.11n cards.

One of the MacBook Pros' warranty expires in a few days. The other is in June.

I will let you know how the upgrade goes.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

That I don't doubt, but the Airport card in my MacBook Pro is pre n-spec So I'd have to void the warranty if I was to upgrade. Although WiFi is no doubt the future I'd much prefer to send a 1 gig file over 2 feet of wire in seconds than over the air in a few minutes. Perhaps when I add more storage space to my Apple TV I'll take the plunge. It's a shame opening a box and installing a perfectly good Apple part voids the warranty.

Gigabit ethernet *is* faster. But I think if you benchmark a one gigabyte transfer - you might be surprised at how slow it is.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Tempted to buy one tommorow, or Ethernet my house... which?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    Quote:

I upgraded one of my MacBook Pros.

It was... interesting. There are two gotchas from the online guides: 1. The piece containing the keyboard and trackpad is secured to the front of the laptop with plastic clips, so after you've removed all the screws and tilted it up, it still does take a *little* controlled force to get it free. 2. The antenna leads are in slightly different positions on the new card, making it entertaining to re-snake the leads (without slack) through the little plastic channel provided.

In any event, I turned the thing on and it works perfectly. I got 130Mbps 30' and two walls away from the base station--and the station was in 802.11b/g compatibility mode. I need to test it in pure 802.11n mode at 5GHz, just as soon as I decommission and 802.11g part that's still running.